Host freezes every 1-2 weeks

taysideit

Nov 26, 2012
Hi,
I have installed Proxmox using the default configuration provided by Hetzner.de however every week or two the server freezes up, I have two problems here.
1. Why does it freeze up?
2. Why does it affect all the VMs and host? I thought the purpose in virtualisation was to avoid one affecting the other.

My Setup:
I used the default configuration (out of time constraints) provided my hetzner.de this provides -
i7 Quad Core CPU
32GB RAM
2 x 3TB Mirror RAID partitioned:
34GB SWAP
536MB /boot
2966GB /

I get the impression that instead I should have had LVM setup and individual LVs created for each VM, however, as I said, I was rushed so used the default. I have therefore used qcow2 files for the VMs and originally had them set to Write back cache - however after a freeze I found I lost 12hrs worth of DB content which is completely unacceptable, so I changed to default (no cache). The latest failure does not appear to have lost any data so that is good.

I would like for the server to stay up all the time and also if one VM runs into bother, not bring down the other. I have looked through the logs on the host and cannot see anything, I am unsure if I have looked in all the right places though. I am therefore looking for some guidance as to how I could overcome this.

Thanks

Nat.

I am unsure how you would expect your VM's to keep running when your host is locked up.

Typically freezes are caused by hardware issues. I highly doubt its proxmox.

Last edited:
Well that was extremely unhelpful. I am looking for assurance in finding the problem. If anyone could tell me where to start looking it would be a big help. Thanks,

Nat

Perhaps this is not a host issue but a client OS issue?
What VM OS did you select? What Apps are running on it?

It's possible to crash the whole host with just one bad (virtual) apple :)

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!