Hook scripts support anda other questions

Sep 12, 2015
Hi.

First of all, i apologize if these questions have already been answered, but i did not found the answers in the forum search.

We have a Proxmox Cluster and we only use KVM and all Virtual Machines have FreeBSD as guests. We have two types of backups. Outside the guests, we have daily Proxmox Backups. Inside the guests, we have custom scripts doing hourly ZFS snapshots.
These two types of Backups are sent to a Backup server in the Datacenter and one time per day, they are replicated to 3 machines outside the Datacenter.

In the custom ZFS sanpshots scripts and in the replication tasks we use pre and post scripts. One example: Pre-replication task to the outside Backup Servers, we wake up those machines. In the end of the replication, those machines are shutdown.

I tested the Beta Proxmox Backup Server but i could not found support for "Hook scripts". So the first question is:
  • Are there any plans to support "hook Scripts" in the Proxmox Backup Client and in the Tasks created in the Proxmox Backup Server?
Other questions:
  • Are there any plans to make a native Proxmox Backup Client for FreeBSD and other BSDs?
  • The ports of "qemu-guest-agent" to FreeBSD don't support "guest-fsfreeze-freeze" and "guest-fsfreeze-thaw". Would it be risky to use the Proxmox Backup Client to do Backups of the virtual machines from the Proxmox Host?
  • Are there any details about the licensing of this product? Prices, versions, features, limitations, etc? I don't know if I should test more this product, without knowing any detail about the licensing.
Sorry for my poor English.

Thanks in advance. :)

Hi,
Are there any plans to support "hook Scripts" in the Proxmox Backup Client and in the Tasks created in the Proxmox Backup Server?
I guess this is what you are looking for.
see https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/vzdump.1.html section "Hook Scripts".

The ports of "qemu-guest-agent" to FreeBSD don't support "guest-fsfreeze-freeze" and "guest-fsfreeze-thaw". Would it be risky to use the Proxmox Backup Client to do Backups of the virtual machines from the Proxmox Host?
It depends on the application but normally it is not risky.
Are there any details about the licensing of this product? Prices, versions, features, limitations, etc? I don't know if I should test more this product, without knowing any detail about the licensing.
The license is as you can read here, GNU AGPL, v3 like all Proxmox Products.

Hi.

I guess this is what you are looking for.
see https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/vzdump.1.html section "Hook Scripts".

I explained badly. Sorry, English is not my first language.

I know about vzdump hook scripts, but as i understand, you can call proxmox-backup-client outside of the proxmox server host. For example, inside a virtual machines or inside a physical server without proxmox.

I was thinking about the following scenario in the proxmox-backup-client:

Pre-snapshot script -> proxmox-backup-client snopshot -> Post-snapshot script -> backup data send to proxmox-backup-server -> Post-data send to proxmox-backup-server script.

And an example scenario in the proxmox-backup-server tasks:

Pre-replication between two proxmox-backup-server script -> replication between two proxmox-backup-server -> Post replication between two proxmox-backup-server script.

When I tested the proxmox-backup beta i couldn't find a way to do something like these scenarios.

It depends on the application but normally it is not risky.

Database servers, like mysql, elasticsearch, redis, is it risky?

With vzdump, in "snapshot mode", I think the RAM of the VM is backed up. With vzdump using proxmox-backup-client will it snapshot the RAM of the VM?

The license is as you can read here, GNU AGPL, v3 like all Proxmox Products.

I explained badly again.

I was asking about pricing between versions, features between versions, limitations between versions, etc. I can't find anything about this aspect of the product.

Maybe it hasn't been revealed yet, but can you give any information? Will it be, at least, like the Proxmox Server pricing?

About the binaries in BSD question, is there any plan to port proxmox-backup-client to BSD?

Sorry for my poor English. :)

Thanks in advance.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!