"holding" backup and snapshots for a while

greg

Renowned Member
Apr 6, 2011
Greetings

I have a cluster of servers which are regularly doing backups and snapshots.

During some production-critical periods, I need to "hold" such traffic/load which could impact the performances.

What do you think would be the proper way to do that?

Thanks in advance

Regards

for backups, you could implement this using a hookscript that checks some condition and fails the backup task(s) or the whole job. for snapshots no such option exists I think, but snapshots should be almost free except for the "ensure consistency" freeze part if multiple volumes are involved.

Thanks for your answer.
Maybe I could use
Bash:
pct set --lock
? Then all operation would failed or be postponed?

you could do that as well, but it blocks *all* tasks, including things like HA migrations, ... the backup storage hookscript variant is more targeted and easier to control

Reactions: Kingneutron
Yes blocking all tasks in what I want. I definitely don't want a migration in the middle of a live event :) What would be the preferred parameter? I tried "mounted" and it said:
CT is locked (snapshot-delete)

there isn't a custom lock value yet, and some of them have special semantics and allow being cleared/ignored for certain tasks.

in your case, it seems the container was already locked (a still ongoing, or failed snapshot deletion?)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!