High Ram Usage

ryan.andersond4

Apr 11, 2021
Hello I am hosting a game server and it appears to be using 97% + Memory Usage even just on startup with nothing open however within the VPS itself all seems ok when it comes to the RAM. I also notice big spikes of lag in game and on the VPS itself. It uses 97% even when I adapt the hardware ram allocation. Any ideas?

Are you using software Raid (ZFS) on the host? If yes, ZFS will use 50% of your total RAM for caching.
If you are talking about a Linux guest...Linux will always try to use nearly 100% of your RAM. If there is any free RAM it will use it for file caching (page files). A good point to start reading is this site: linuxatemyram.com

If you are concerned about running out of RAM check your swap usage. If linux is low on RAM it will swap alot and you will see a high swap utilization.

Last edited:
What is a 97%? Your Proxmox host itself, what proxmox tells you how much your Win VM is using or what your Windows VM is telling you how much RAM it is using?

Did you installed the virtio guest tools service and virtio ballooning drivers in your Win VM? If not Proxmox can't see the actual RAM utilization of your Win VM.

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Windows_10_guest_best_practices

What is your Proxmox host showing if you run free -h?

Last edited:
On the Proxmox Host and I have installed the drivers, it was all fine before

Attachments

• stats.png
    stats.png
    63.1 KB · Views: 74
How is your hosts RAM if you shutdown the Win VM? And how much of the hosts RAM did you assigned to the VM?
If I remember right there was a memory leak some weeks/months ago caused by using a specific virtio ballooning driver with windows and a solution was to disable ballooning or using a older version of the virtio drivers. But memory leaks should grow slowly over time.

If I change the assigned ram from say 25 to 30 it then works well for a while and gets progressively worse if this is what your referring to but I've also tried taking it down such as from 25 to 20 and it remians at 97% so it isn't affected going down but is gradual going up

Why are you assigning 32GB RAM to the VM if your host only got 25GB? If you assign 32GB to the VM Windows will try to use the full 32GB for caching. No wonder that your hosts RAM is full. Proxmox needs around 4GB by itself so you shouldn't assign more than around 19-20GB RAM for that VM (and even less if also other VMs are running)

No sorry I've misunderstood. I have another 7 GB available to me but I only currently have 25GB assigned. Theres a fuck ton across the whole system but I have 32GB on this specific one

You really should run free -h in CLI on your proxmox host to see HOW your RAM is used. 97% memory "used" and only 3% "free" is no problem as long as most of the "used" is also "available" because it is used for "cache /buffer". You can use the CLI using the WebGUI under "Datacenter -> NameOfYourNode -> Shell"

After you did this and if "available" is low too you can use top -o %MEM in CLI to check what process is using how much RAM. This gives a more detailed view if you want to know what exaclty is causing that high RAM usage.

Last edited:
It was false reporting thanks for your help! Can I also please ask the difference between the reset and the reboot button please?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!