High data unites written / SSD wearout in Proxmox

Make sure you installed pfsense using UFS and and not as ZFS as ZFS got massive overhead and running ZFS on ZFS will exponentially increase the write amplification. There is also an option in the OPNsense webUI to store logs on a tmpfs, so logs will only be written to RAM and won't hit your disks. I would guess pfsense got a similar option.

FYI if you installed a VM with ZFS in-guest, you may not have to reinstall. As long as you're not running zfs boot/root and have an LVM-thin (or ext4 or XFS storage) with sufficient space, you can move the VM disk there and it won't be zfs-on-top-of-zfs anymore.

Reactions: ligistx
Google translate:

Hello. I have the same problem. Did you keep proxmox on zfs or reinstall proxmox on ufs?

How did you set Disk Settings? Can you post a screenshot of the settings?
Hi, what are you asking for? disk settings of proxmox, or of pfsense?

I am running proxmox on ZFS, and pfsense is also ZFS. By default, pfsense is wrtting logs very often, so you can turn on a RAM disk option so it writes to RAM and flushes to SSD much less often.

In pfsense: "System" -> "Advanced" -> "Miscellaneous" -> "RAM Disk Settings"

In proxmox, I have it set up in a ZFS Mirror:
1716053967581.png

Reactions: Kingneutron
I figured it out. The error was in pfsense. I had high disk writes around 8-12MB/s and high I/O 2-8%. Then I disabled ntopng in pfsense and now I have 300kb/s writes and I/O around 0.5%.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!