high cpu usage on CentOS VM

solliecomm

Jun 16, 2012
Nethernlands
I'm using the latest proxmox distro with 10 KVM clients (debian). The system is running fine, almost no CPU and memory usage.

I'm using Proxmox 2.1-1/f9b0f63a
My system: Intel S5520HC mainboard, XEON-E5520, 32Gb Kingston 8GB DDR3 Registered ECC, AXX4SASMOD, Western Digital RE4 hard disks

Yesterday I installed FreePBX distro (http://downloads.freepbxdistro.org/ISO/FullISO/64bit/FreePBX-1.813.210.58-x86_64-Full-1339179186.iso).
I installed the distro on Linux 3.X/2.6 Kernel (l26), 5Gb Virtio raw disk image, 1 socket, 1core qemu64, 2048Mb.

The installation went OK, the distro is based on CentOS. After installation there was no cpu activaty in on the virtual host, but on proxmox the vm was using 10 - 15% cpu.

After searching on the forum and trying a lot of different installations (IDE instead of Virtio, no acpi support, differtent network card, other cpu types I could not lower the cpu usage.
I even went killing al the processes on the CentOS host without any result. Also doing the installation on two other Proxmox machines did not help, exactly the same results.

Does anyone recognise this behavior and/or does anyone have a solutions or ideas? This is driving me crazy.

Gr.

Edwin

I had the same problem with the same software. Inside the VM the cpu usage was very low, but proxmox showed it as using 20% of the host cpu. There was also a heavy disk io load shown. My solution was to install the beta version of FreePBX based on CentOS 6.2.

Your right (agreenfi1). This weekend i installed the freepbx beta distro based on Centos 6.2. Now the CPU load is low (0.9).

Question stay's, why does CentOS 5.8 (kernel 2.6.18-308.4.1.e15) not work on Proxmox / KVM. Is there a solution for CentOS 5.8, because I like to use the freepbx stable release.

Increasing and High cpu load in VM Proxmox 2.1

I am running proxmox 2.1 on a dual core 1,8 Ghz with 8 Gb ram and SSD hard drive.
In the VM i am running Alfresco. When I first started Alfresco it worked perfect with cpu load at 4%. But after a while the cpu load started
to increase and efter 6 days Proxmox crashed and I had to restart proxmox.Since then the cpu load is increase every day.
For this moment the cpu load is 32% and the VM with Alfresco crashes evary 6 day.

I really like proxmox but as it is now I can not use it.
I really need help to get poroxmox working.

Options.pngResources.pngstatus.pngcpu.png

Best Regards
Kris

If you cannot figure it out, I suggest you try KVM instead of OpenVZ for java applications. Any feedback from Alfresco support?

If you cannot figure it out, I suggest you try KVM instead of OpenVZ for java applications. Any feedback from Alfresco support?
Isn't 2.6.18 the last stable kernel with a complete big kernel lock (BKL)?
See: http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/Removing_the_Big_Kernel_Lock

Maybe Java VM and BKL is not god companions since there will be both a BKL in Java and the kernel competing about resources.

Michael.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!