Hetzner Server

ellenverheyen

Jun 3, 2009
Hello,

we're moving to Hetzner with our servers and like to now if we need specific instructions to get proxmox to run.

Our server type will be the EQ9, with 3*1,5TB on hardware raid and 12Gb Ram.

Given the 2Tb limit we would put debian 64bit underneath, and then install proxmox packages on top.

Is this ok as setup and are there any other things to look into?

Kindly Regards

Ellen Verheyen

Hello,

we're moving to Hetzner with our servers and like to now if we need specific instructions to get proxmox to run.

Our server type will be the EQ9, with 3*1,5TB on hardware raid and 12Gb Ram.

Given the 2Tb limit we would put debian 64bit underneath, and then install proxmox packages on top.

Is this ok as setup and are there any other things to look into?

Kindly Regards

Ellen Verheyen

take a look here: http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_Lenny

And take care about configuration of LVM2 - if you want to use snapshots leave enough space for this - you will find info about this by searching the forum.

I suggest you ask Hetzner if they support Proxmox VE. I would also appreciate that they will get in contact with us - so just kick them in our direction - this would be the easiest way to eliminate problems if anything comes up.

Partitioning went fine:

/dev/sda1 boot
LVM group vg0
/dev/vg0/swap 12G
/dev/vg0 /root 200G
/dev/vg0/vz all (2,6 TB)

But when rebooting with the pve kernel the server hangs at booting...

any idea what's going wrong?
I set default 2 in menu.lst as pve kernel was the 3th in row

I've for 2 hours lara console access

when the kernel is booting i get the error

can't open /dev/console
and after this a kernel panic

I booted the server from the proxmox cd (virtual media)
and I think the problem is the Raid Controller 9650SE-4LP

It sees the disks seperate, altough i made up a RAID device (RAID0 with 2*1,5TB) and 1 Single disk to put the backups on.

Any idea how we can support this RAID driver?

Kindly regards

Ellen

i have this issue now with 3ware raid

2x 1.5TB drives in mirror, was working about 10 mins ago before i chose to reboot to get on board connected sata hd to work

Ok, I got the server running using LARA remote interface..
I can create VM's (openvz and KVM) but now the network is a huge problem.

Hetzner only allows one IP with macaddress to connect outside to their router, so they don't allow a briged setup with different mac-addresses.
Instead they advise a routed setup.

The main machine is able to connect to the internet without any problems.
one openvz test machine can ping the main IP of the server but has no access outside.

There's yet no firewall installed.

Could you please help me to set this up as I really don't know where to start..

Kindly regards

Ellen Verheyen

Ok, I got the server running using LARA remote interface..
I can create VM's (openvz and KVM) but now the network is a huge problem.

Hetzner only allows one IP with macaddress to connect outside to their router, so they don't allow a briged setup with different mac-addresses.
Instead they advise a routed setup.

The main machine is able to connect to the internet without any problems.
one openvz test machine can ping the main IP of the server but has no access outside.

There's yet no firewall installed.

Could you please help me to set this up as I really don't know where to start..

Kindly regards

Ellen Verheyen

Reading the docu can help here, see http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Network_Model

Just read it,

what do I do with the extra external IP's i get to use inside my vm?

ie 78.46.33.xxx --> main ip server

the VM will need to use 78.46.33.xxy as ip (same range/subnet as main ip)

your best bet is to use it to set up a software firewall using full kvm (i reccomend pfsense) which you can then create an extra "internal network" to which you can have as many VM's as needed sharing the one external ip

pfsense can also provide some load balancing features for servers

remember if you have 2 webservices behind 1 ip you can only have 1 listening on port 80 of the external ip, so your options are limited a little

if you have multiple IP's though, you should just use the extra's for the needed VM's unless you dont have enough for what you need to run at which point some sort of Routing and NAT needs to be done

for example i have a 29 network this means i have 5 usable IP's 1 for the physical server and 4 for VM's

Last edited:
this would be no option as there are 10+ vps using the same ports for different clients....

does anyone has an example of a network setup at hetzner?

if you have more VPS/VM's using the same services (eg web) than you have IP's you need to either combine them on one box (for example using vhosts for web) or get more IP's

there is no other way around this other than putting some services on non standard ports which means the port has to be specified everytime which is NOT a good thing for clients

and when i mean 1 box it can be either physical or virtual

your provider should be able to provide extra ip's and if its not free it should not be expensive at all (seeing as IP's are free anyway)

i don't have more vps then ip's, each vm has it's own address

i only need to know how to set this up in a routed setup, as i tried to set in like in the wiki but that doesnt work.

in other datacenters (holland easycolocate.nl) bridged setup works so there is no problem

surely this is a matter of setting the IP of each vm in the web interface and using venet mode rather than veth(bridged) mode?

venet does not expose the mac address outside of the server (its the same physical mac address)

this did'nt work...

hetzner only allows 1 macaddress from the server
and it looks like everything must be routed through the main servers IP

I tried to set this up... but it doesn't seems to work

this should be what you need:

Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
        address  192.168.10.2
        netmask  255.255.255.0
        gateway  192.168.10.1
        post-up echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eth0/proxy_arp

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address  10.10.10.1
        netmask  255.255.255.0
        bridge_ports none
        bridge_stp off
        bridge_fd 0

just put the same subnet on your interface... if you want to you can pm your IP's and i can suggest the right values, or if you want to get me on IM you can PM me

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!