HELPPP -- Is possible Replication zfs Storage on Root?

andiblloshmi

Jul 11, 2022
Hello,
Im newbie on proxmox and I would like some help how to enable a replication.
I have installed proxmox on two nodes with 2 drive each configured as zfs mirror as below.
1658788132610.png
I want to enable Replication but when I start create replication I get error "missing replicate feature on volume 'local:103/vm-103-state-snapshot2.raw' (500)"
Note my drives are zfs configured during installation and i do not have any possibility to make changes in the physical servers.

Kind Regards
Andi

Hi,
the error indicates that you created a snapshot and the state was saved on the local storage rather than the local-zfs storage (assuming you use the default storage configuration with ZFS from the installer). You can select the VM state storage in the VM's Options panel in the UI, but this won't move the existing state file. If you really need that snapshot, you'd have to manually move it to be a ZFS volume and adapt the snapshot entry in the configuration accordingly.

P.S. setting the [TUTORIAL] prefix usually indicates that you are giving a tutorial.

Hello,
Sorry for the wrong prefix, newbie :( ,
My local storage is ZFS, and you are correct i have configured it through installation.
Can not be used local zfs storage in order to have replication feature enabled?

Tank you in advance :)
Kind regard

1658832937501.png

1658833279581.png

1658833304686.png

Hello,
Sorry for the wrong prefix, newbie :( ,
No worries :)

My local storage is ZFS, and you are correct i have configured it through installation.
Can not be used local zfs storage in order to have replication feature enabled?

Tank you in advance :)
Kind regard

View attachment 39332

View attachment 39333

View attachment 39334
Ok, so it's not only the snapshot, but also the VM disk itself that is on the local storage. What should make replication work:
  1. Go to the Snapshots panel and remove the snapshots for the VM (if you still need them, it's more complicated, because you would need to move them manually to the local-zfs storage).
  2. Go to the Hardware view of the VM. Use the Move Disk or Disk Action > Move Storage button to move all VM disks to the local-zfs storage.
If you take a new snapshot afterwards, the VM state should also get saved on the local-zfs storage. If it doesn't, go to the Options panel and set the VM State storage to local-zfs.

Hello Fiona,
Thank you for your advice, I tried the above and did not worked, I created a new VM for test but still nothing.
Maybe I did not explained well my situation.
I have only one storage in ZFS and is created during installation,( root), where the system is installed. Could this be the reason the replication does not work, because with what I have seen around is that i need to add additional storage and to configure it as zfs storage?! Or the replication should work even when the root storage is ZFS.
Thank you :)

PVE will install two storages on the same disk when you install PVE with ZFS. You should have "local" which is your root filesystem and you should have "local-zfs" where you store your virtual disks of your VMs/LXCs.

Reactions: fiona
Hello Fiona,
Thank you for your advice, I tried the above and did not worked, I created a new VM for test but still nothing.
When you create the VM, during the selection of the hard disks, you can select the storage for the disk. There, you should select local-zfs.
Maybe I did not explained well my situation.
I have only one storage in ZFS and is created during installation,( root), where the system is installed. Could this be the reason the replication does not work, because with what I have seen around is that i need to add additional storage and to configure it as zfs storage?! Or the replication should work even when the root storage is ZFS.
Thank you :)
As @Dunuin said, Proxmox VE will create two storages by default. Can you post the output of cat /etc/pve/storage.cfg and zfs list?

Hello :)

Below are the configs

========================
root@proxmox01:~# cat /etc/pve/storage.cfg
dir: local
path /var/lib/vz
content iso,vztmpl,images,backup,snippets,rootdir
prune-backups keep-all=1
============
dir: local
path /var/lib/vz
content iso,vztmpl,images,backup,snippets,rootdir
prune-backups keep-all=1

==================================
zfs list
NAME USED AVAIL REFER MOUNTPOINT
rpool 51.6G 3.33T 104K /rpool
rpool/ROOT 51.5G 3.33T 96K /rpool/ROOT
rpool/ROOT/pve-1 51.5G 3.33T 51.5G /
rpool/data 96K 3.33T 96K /rpool/data

zfs list
NAME USED AVAIL REFER MOUNTPOINT
rpool 11.4G 3.36T 104K /rpool
rpool/ROOT 11.4G 3.36T 96K /rpool/ROOT
rpool/ROOT/pve-1 11.4G 3.36T 11.4G /
rpool/data 96K 3.36T 96K /rpool/data

=====================================

Well, your local-zfs storage is missing for some reason. You can re-add it if you go to Datacenter > Storages > Add ZFS, select rpool/data and use that new storage for your VM images.

Reactions: andiblloshmi

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!