Help with multiple bridges and VMs

Tiscan

May 29, 2022
Just came over from UnRaid and I am having issues with my bridges.

I have two VLANs off of my swtich. One is a LAN and one is a DMZ.

The LAN is connected to eno3 (bridge is vmbr0) and the DMZ (bridge is vmbr1) is connected to eno4. I want the Proxmox server to be on the LAN and it's using vmbr0, no problems.

However the VMs I am creating and assigning to vmbr1 have no connection. They are fine if I swap them to vmbr0.

What am I doing wrong?

Here is my /etc/network/interfaces

Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eno3 inet manual
#10G LAN

iface idrac inet manual

iface eno1 inet manual

iface eno2 inet manual

iface eno4 inet manual
#10G DMZ

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address 10.51.1.10/24
        gateway 10.51.1.1
        bridge-ports eno3
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0
#LAN

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet manual
        bridge-ports eno4
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0
#DMZ

However the VMs I am creating and assigning to vmbr1 have no connection
No connection to what?

Config looks fine. How do you setup your guests? DMZ is a dedicated subnet and you got some router somewhere that is routing between internet, LAN and DMZ?

Hey,

The DMZ is indeed a dedicated subnet (10.51.2.1/24) and there is a router in place between internet, LAN and DMZ. The router itself is working fine, I can validate that other devices on the DMZ have no connectivity issues.

The VM has a static IP of 10.51.2.12 with 10.51.2.1 as the gateway. It's not even able to ping the gateway. If set to DHCP it can't get an address (there is a DHCP server on the DMZ as well). I don't think this has anything to do with the VM config itself as if I assign the VM to vmbr0 the network comes up via the LAN DHCP server immediately.

I feel like I am missing something painfully obvious...

Ok more digging.. it seems Proxmox won't enable eno4...

I can plug the same cable into another interface and it comes up. Link is UP but is listed as NO-CARRIER. Which makes little sense as this same card and interfaces ran fine for both Unraid and TrueNAS Scale.

NIC is a Dell 0CD2VM Intel X550-T2 Dual-Port 10GB + Dual-Port 1GB Base-T RJ-45 Network Daughter Card

Code:
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
    inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
    inet6 ::1/128 scope host
2: eno1: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state DOWN group default qlen 1000
    altname enp1s0f0
3: eno2: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state DOWN group default qlen 1000
    altname enp1s0f1
4: eno3: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq master vmbr0 state UP group default qlen 1000
    altname enp2s0f0
5: eno4: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq master vmbr1 state DOWN group default qlen 1000
    altname enp2s0f1
6: idrac: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN group default qlen 1000
7: vmbr0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state UP group default qlen 1000
    inet 10.51.1.10/24 scope global vmbr0
    inet6 fe80::266e:96ff:febe:2b0/64 scope link
8: vmbr1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state UP group default qlen 1000
    inet6 fe80::266e:96ff:febe:2b1/64 scope link
9: tap100i0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,PROMISC,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast master vmbr1 state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000
    link/ether ba:c8:f5:96:23:08 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

Last edited:
Hey NetMagi,
Im a newbie but I had something like this happen to me before. Have you tried putting the interface to up?

Type into the cli: ip link set <device> up

Replace <device> with the interface eno4?.

Hope this helps you make it work!

Thanks for the advice.

Unfortunately the interface is already UP. The issue is that eno4, while being UP is showing as NO-CARRIER. Meaning that the network jack detects no signal on the line. It's not a cable issue or a port issue on the switch as I can simply move the cable to another NIC port and it works, thereby eliminating those as potential failure points.

This means one of two things:
1) Somehow between running TrueNAS Scale and Proxmox this one port on the NIC died (kinda unlikely)
2) Proxmox driver for this NIC has some issues
3) ???

Solved: On a whim I powered down the server completely, even removed the power cord to ensure that even the iDRAC was powered off. Waited 5 min and started back up.. whamo, everything works!

I had tried reboots with no luck. So for anyone who finds this in the future it's a cold boot from a non powered state that seemed to fix it. No idea why.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!