Help with High CPU Usage in OPNSense/Pfsense VM inside Proxmox

saluteferux

Jun 7, 2024
Hi everyone,
I'm experiencing an issue with high CPU usage in my OPNSense VM running inside Proxmox and could really use some help.
Setup Details:
  • Host Configuration:
    • Proxmox Host
    • 64 GB RAM
    • Intel i7-8700 (mitigations=off)
    • IOMMU enabled (iommu=on and iommu=pt in /etc/kernel/cmdline)
    • Proxmox installed on SSD NVME in ZFS RAID0
  • VM Configuration:
    • OPNSense VM
    • 8GB RAM
    • 1 socket, 4 CPU threads (using host cpu type, testing with others doesn't change anything)
    • Passing through 4 ports of Intel I226V 2.5GbE. PCI-E is on in the settings of pci devices.
    • Q35, OVMF (UEFI)
Issue:
When I run a speed test, downloading at speeds of 2.1 Gbps to 2.5 Gbps, Proxmox reports 80-100% CPU usage. However, inside the OPNSense dashboard, the CPU usage is reported as 5-20%. (Same tested with pfsense)
I’m trying to understand why the CPU usage is so high on Proxmox.
Things I've Tried:
  • Ensured that IOMMU is enabled and configured properly.
  • Verified that CPU mitigations are turned off for performance.
  • Tested with Pfsense
  • Tested OpenWRT and the CPU Usage doesn't go above 10-15% at full 2.5Gb speed so this is a problem with the senses...
Questions:
  1. Why is there such a discrepancy between CPU usage reported by Proxmox and OPNSense?
  2. Is there anything I can do to optimize or reduce the CPU usage on Proxmox when running high-speed network tasks?
Any insights or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

login through the CLI and confirm the actual CPU usage, maybe the dashboard is not reporting the right stats.

I noticed the same problem,
but only recently with the latest updates of opnsense (since the last major version probably).

I think I solved the problem (it is still under observation):
I was previously in CPU "host" and I went back to CPU "qemu64" (+ flag aes on).

Of course, also check in VM options that QEMU guest agent = ON
and that in opnsense the QEMU guest agent service is installed and enabled.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!