[HELP] W11 Activation prompt after migrating from bare metal to VM

djbe

Sep 16, 2021
I have "successfully" migrated W11 Pro from an activated physical install (Minisforum BD790i) to a Proxmox VM (.i.e. BD790i / W11 bare metal >> BD790i / PVE bare metal / W11 VM)

"Succesfully", because although passthrough of the GPU, TPM, and NVME boot SSD (as emulated nvme raw image added in vmid.conf) works to the extent that I now boot my previous physical install as a VM, I now have the "activate windows" prompt

I'm not able to screenshot my configs, but I will describe what I've done in the first reply

Any ideas what else I need to passthrough / configure for windows to be able to "match" my hardware with its existing activation?

Thanks in Advance

Dave

System: enabled SR-IOV / VT-d / IOMMU

PVE: (added vfio etc, blacklisted amdgpu) kernel modules / added vfio + iommu kernel options / ensured separate iommu groups

GUI (Hardware): OVMF / q35 / PCIe raw device GPU passthough (00:03.0x) / Display =spice (to enable console)

GUI (Options): UUID / Manufacturer / Series / Family (from dmidecode)

100.conf args:

-cpu
-drive file=/rpool/data/nvme.img,if=none,id=NVME1 -device nvme,drive=NVME1,serial=nvme-1,bootindex=1
-tpmdev passthrough,id=tpm0,path=/dev/tpm0,cancel-path=/path/to/file/ -device tpm-tis,tpmdev=tpm0

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!