HELP URGENTLY NEEDED: Booting from Hard Disk

Bruniczek200

May 26, 2023
So i have been having this issue for about a couple weeks i think...One day i decided to make a virtual machine again (i have been using lxc containers) because i needed passtrough...anyway...i tried to install debian...the installer finished i removed the drive, the machine rebooted and i see this:

SeaBios (version rel-1.16.1-0-g3208b098f51a-prebuilt.qemu.org)
Machine UUID f98d2cb5-7180-4a0d-b928-50fd6dd92213
Booting from hard disk...

And it froze like that...i rebooted the vm multiple times...i rebooted the phisical machine multiple times...i even today decided to download a clean image of proxmox from the website...i did that...i did the same things (downloaded debian and tried to install it on a vm) and it's still frozen

I searched the web for answers...none worked

Please Help

My pveversion:

pve-manager/7.4-3/9002ab8a (running kernel: 5.15.107-2-pve)

Kind Regards
Bruno

Please post qm config of your vm with qm config VMID

Right my qm config for 100 (the machine i was writing about) is:

boot: order=ide0;ide2;net0
cores: 2
efidisk0: local-lvm:vm-100-disk-1,efitype=4m,pre-enrolled-keys=1,size=4M
ide0: local-lvm:vm-100-disk-0,size=50G
ide2: local:iso/omv.iso,media=cdrom,size=828M
machine: q35
memory: 2100
meta: creation-qemu=7.2.0,ctime=1685117528
name: SERV-Z3XS
net0: virtio=1E:7D:19:15:E9:C5,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1
numa: 0
ostype: l26
scsihw: virtio-scsi-single
smbios1: uuid=f98d2cb5-7180-4a0d-b928-50fd6dd92213
sockets: 1
vmgenid: f7a4d04b-c608-422d-b7df-a2719b340b1a

Oh and i also didn't mention in my original comment that i also tried changing from sea bios to uefi (OMVF) and also i've tried to change the machine type from the default one (i440fx) to q35...Yes i've tried changing the machine from sata to virtioblock to scsi and then eventually changed to ide...And yes also the boot order...Of course none of that worked...So...The machine state that i have "dumped" here is the one after all of the changes that i mentioned.

I hope that with the added info i gave you you can solve my problem...

Kind Regards
Bruno

Many aspect missing, but many guide do exist to create a default vm. And to try out an install, download xubuntu, install, all default and reboot. -eject media disc iso from the vm. nothing urgent, more like a normal vm install step done wrong.

On UEFI youj sometimes need to disable secure boot in VMs BIOS to boot your vm.

Reactions: pepex7 and _gabriel
OMG SIR (jsterr)...You were acually right...I am such a noob...why did i forget that i need to do that...Anyways thank you from the bottom of my heart my machines are now all gonna be OMVF (UEFI)...But...that still doesn't change the fact that the SeaBIOS is still broken...Anyways thank you again...I hope that this thread will help people with the same problem as me...I'm now gonna report the "Booting from hard disk..." as a bug...Bye!

Reactions: pepex7
I reported it you can mark it as "SOLVED"...Thanks again...Bye!
Only you can mark this thread as solved by editing your first post and selecting Solved. Note that almost all people here are unpaid volunteers who don't have the permissions to change your post.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!