Help setting up networking on Ubuntu Server 22.04 VM

Anonymeus

Aug 3, 2023
I am very new to proxmox and VMs so apologies in advance for stupid terminology/questions.

I'm starting a home server running Proxmox 8.0 with an Ubuntu Server 22.04 installation.
My goal is to use SSH to use the console from my main PC on my local network. (I use Termius as my SSH client)
I believe there are issues with my networking setup. I have set my Ubuntu Install to use a Bridge interface in proxmox networking tab via an ethernet connection to my router
When I first set up my Ununtu Server it was not able to connect to internet at all in the VM, pinging, update, and upgrade would not work properly
I watch some youtube and got it kinda working with QEMU, I dont REALLY know what it is but it works so I'm not complaining, but when I try to SSH from my PC I get "connection refused"

My Proxmox Machine IP is 10.0.0.7
VM Machine IP is 10.0.0.8
Port used for SSH is 22 by default.

If anyone needs more info please feel free to ask!

UFW (firewall) is probably blocking SSH access on your Ubuntu vm.....
Open port 22 TCP and check again.

Or....
edit your /etc/ssh/sshd_config file and change PermitRootLogin to "yes" (on Ubuntu vm)

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!