Help setting up cluster shared ISO storage

AlSt

Feb 7, 2022
Hello all, I've recently come across a problem I've been having, I want to set up network-wide ISO storage so I can make new VMs on other servers in a cluster without having to download the ISO again. Can I do something inside of Proxmox or Ceph to achieve something like this?

Any help is appreciated, Thank you.

You could use a NFS/CIFS network share as your ISO storage. But PVE got no NAS functionalities, so you need to setup a NFS/SMB server yourself.

Reactions: Whitterquick
You can run nfs in two ways - kernel or user space. User space is slower.

Which resources do you mean? Storage/CPU/RAM?
For some ISO shares you will not need a lot.

You can run nfs in two ways - kernel or user space. User space is slower.

Which resources do you mean? Storage/CPU/RAM?
For some ISO shares you will not need a lot.
Yeah I meant CPU/RAM if server has limited resources. How much slower is user space? I have only ever used SMB to be honest but I am interested in using or trying NFS if it’s better?

1-2G RAM and 1-2 CPUs should be enough.

SMB is for client access like Windows. In the Unix/Linux world you should use NFS.

You need to test the difference between user and kernelspace. I never used user space nfs servers.

Reactions: Whitterquick

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!