help selecting nuc for homelab

Lomik

Feb 23, 2020
Hi,

Before having a purpose build one id like to play and learn with a cheaper alternative. Currently looking at:

1. DC53427HYE with 16GB and single 1TB Evo 860 (zfs raid0)
2. NUC7i5DNHE with 32GB and 256GB ssd (zfs raid0) for proxmox & miscellaneous and 1TB 660p or 1TB 970 evo for VMs (zfs raid0)

it will be running a mix of containers and vms:
24/7: openproject, wekan, prometheus, nagios, pihole, motioneye, unifi controller, octoprint, ups controller, openvpn

as needed -for local use only:
different kinds of databases (Oracle, MS, PostgreSQL, My,Mongo,Maria,Redis)
hadoop, spark, cassandra, kubernetes, pxe, ansible, fog, pfsense

Considering only 1 gigaethernet port on both im wondering if 2. is overkill? There also a lack of cores on 2 considering it has more ram and better storage.
zfs raid0 a good idea?

For the moment i need the small footprint of a nuc and vpro. It will stay as a corner stone of a 3 node cluster

thx for the feedback

In most cases NUC is not cost effective. There are better alternatives at better (sometimes much better) prices. Take a look at Gigabye BRIX. If you are willing to look at used items then search EBay for HP ProDesk 800 mini G2 or G4. The HPs are very compact and support both m.2 NVMe and 2.5” SATA.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!