[SOLVED] Help recovering my proxmox 5.4

M3M1X

Jan 16, 2022
Dear All,

I have done a very stupid mistake which resulted in my proxmox shutting down before any VM loads. I'll explain how...

I have 2 VMs set to auto start. I created a systemd service to check when both VMs are stopped to shutdown the proxmox server. The problem is that I didn't add a delay to the service. So, when proxmox first starts, it runs the service first before the VMs and the service immediately shuts down the server. So, VMs never start...

I tried to enter "recovery mode", but proxmos doesn't have that option. I tried booting to proxmox ve installation USB to recover that way, but I cannot mount the hard disk because it is part of LVM (I wanted to mount my proxmox installation in order to amend the service and add a delay).

Any solutions would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

Hi,
Dear All,

I have done a very stupid mistake which resulted in my proxmox shutting down before any VM loads. I'll explain how...

I have 2 VMs set to auto start. I created a systemd service to check when both VMs are stopped to shutdown the proxmox server. The problem is that I didn't add a delay to the service. So, when proxmox first starts, it runs the service first before the VMs and the service immediately shuts down the server. So, VMs never start...

I tried to enter "recovery mode", but proxmos doesn't have that option. I tried booting to proxmox ve installation USB to recover that way, but I cannot mount the hard disk because it is part of LVM (I wanted to mount my proxmox installation in order to amend the service and add a delay).
you should be able to mount a file-system living on top of an LV too. Assuming you use the default local-lvm configuration, the command should be
Code:
sudo mount /dev/pve/root /some/mount/point
If that doesn't work please share the output of lvs.

Any solutions would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
P.S. Proxmox VE 5.x is end-of-life since more than a year, so please consider upgrading.

Reactions: M3M1X
Hi,

you should be able to mount a file-system living on top of an LV too. Assuming you use the default local-lvm configuration, the command should be
Code:
sudo mount /dev/pve/root /some/mount/point
If that doesn't work please share the output of lvs.

P.S. Proxmox VE 5.x is end-of-life since more than a year, so please consider upgrading.
Thank you Fabian for your reply. Very much appreciated.

The problem is that I cannot get to command prompt on the server to perform the steps above.

I have the same USB I used to install this instance of proxmox, and if I choose to install with debug, I can get into the command prompt of the USB. In other words, I don't have access to "/dev/pve/root" of my proxmox because it is on another HDD.
When I tried to mount that partition (proxmox installed on), I get the error saying I can't mount an lvm partition.

Yes, I meant from the live CD/USB.
Does /dev/pve/root show up after you run vgscan and vgchange -ay?

Reactions: M3M1X
Yes, I meant from the live CD/USB.
Does /dev/pve/root show up after you run vgscan and vgchange -ay?
You are a life saviour!

I did vgscan first, my volumes showed up. Then I did vgchange -a y, and i was able to reach /dev/pve/root.

Now I have fixed my service and all VMs booted normally.

I will upgrade proxmox ASAP as well, thank you for the reminder.

Once again, thank you so much!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!