HELP! PLEASE! apache2 no longer launching

danast

Nov 22, 2012
Not sure what I did exactly, I could post the history, but apache2 no longer starts, I can still log on through ssh though. I have also a python version 2.6 which doesn't seem to belong there.

Here is the error I am getting and I am at a loss as to what to do:

root@master:~# apache2ctl start
apache2: Syntax error on line 203 of /etc/apache2/apache2.conf: Syntax error on line 1 of /etc/apache2/mods-enabled/ssl.load: Cannot load /usr/lib/apache2/modules/mod_ssl.so into server: /usr/lib/libssl.so.0.9.8: symbol pqueue_size, version OPENSSL_0.9.8 not defined in file libcrypto.so.0.9.8 with link time reference
Action 'start' failed.
The Apache error log may have more information.
root@master:~#

Please, can someone help? I am desperate.

Not sure what I did exactly, I could post the history, but apache2 no longer starts, I can still log on through ssh though. I have also a python version 2.6 which doesn't seem to belong there.

Here is the error I am getting and I am at a loss as to what to do:

root@master:~# apache2ctl start
apache2: Syntax error on line 203 of /etc/apache2/apache2.conf: Syntax error on line 1 of /etc/apache2/mods-enabled/ssl.load: Cannot load /usr/lib/apache2/modules/mod_ssl.so into server: /usr/lib/libssl.so.0.9.8: symbol pqueue_size, version OPENSSL_0.9.8 not defined in file libcrypto.so.0.9.8 with link time reference
Action 'start' failed.
The Apache error log may have more information.

Please, can someone help? I am desperate.
Hi,
what kind of installation is it? An original pve or on top of debian squeeze?
Looks like you change something with ssl?
What is the output of
Code:
dpkg -l  | grep ssl
openssl version
dpkg -l | grep apache
Udo

Re: apache2 no longer launching

Hi,
what kind of installation is it? An original pve or on top of debian squeeze?
Looks like you change something with ssl?
What is the output of
Code:
dpkg -l  | grep ssl
openssl version
dpkg -l | grep apache
Udo
Hi there,

Thank you for your quick response. as for the information you requested:
root@master:~# dpkg -l | grep ssl
ii libcrypt-openssl-bignum-perl 0.04-2 Access OpenSSL multiprecision integer arithmetic libraries
ii libcrypt-openssl-random-perl 0.04-1+b1 Access to the OpenSSL pseudo-random number generator
ii libcrypt-openssl-rsa-perl 0.25-1+b1 Perl module providing basic RSA functionality
ii libio-socket-ssl-perl 1.33-1+squeeze1 Perl module implementing object oriented interface to SSL sockets
ii libnet-ssleay-perl 1.36-1 Perl module for Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)
ii libssl0.9.8 0.9.8o-4squeeze13 SSL shared libraries
ii libxmlsec1-openssl 1.2.14-1+squeeze1 Openssl engine for the XML security library
ii openssl 0.9.8o-4squeeze13 Secure Socket Layer (SSL) binary and related cryptographic tools
ii python-openssl 0.10-1 Python wrapper around the OpenSSL library
ii ssl-cert 1.0.28 simple debconf wrapper for OpenSSL
root@master:~# openssl version
OpenSSL 0.9.8o 01 Jun 2010
root@master:~# dpkg -l | grep apache
ii apache2 2.2.16-6+squeeze8 Apache HTTP Server metapackage
ii apache2-mpm-prefork 2.2.16-6+squeeze8 Apache HTTP Server - traditional non-threaded model
ii apache2-utils 2.2.16-6+squeeze8 utility programs for webservers
ii apache2.2-bin 2.2.16-6+squeeze8 Apache HTTP Server common binary files
ii apache2.2-common 2.2.16-6+squeeze8 Apache HTTP Server common files
ii libapache2-mod-apreq2 2.12-2 generic Apache request library - Apache module
ii libapache2-mod-perl2 2.0.4-7 Integration of perl with the Apache2 web server
ii libapache2-reload-perl 0.10-2 Reload Perl modules when changed on disk
ii libapache2-request-perl 2.12-2 generic Apache request library - Perl modules

I am currently learning about the ins and outs of linux, please, be patient with me. I recently installed latest proxmox, so Debian (yes?). I think I was able to solve this issue, unless above information indicates to you that I should be expecting further problems.

So, I had an rsnapshot. A diff of the installed libcrypto.so.0.9.8 against the backup showed to be binary file but the two files were different. I ran a shutdown -r 1 & and replaced it, given libcrypto it is needed by ssh and it caused a disconnect and that way I was able to ensure for the server to reboot eventually. An earlier attempt broke the server and forced a person on site to restart it manually. So when I replaced it now again I got disconnected but was able to reconnect, then found that apache2 would not launch due to a new error. Pieces of pve were missing as well as ones of perl5. I copied the entire /usr/share from the backup and reinstalled all pve and pve-manager. Afterwards all everything again.

The reason for me to go to newby is that I come from other platforms and even though I am not entirely newby, I have no clue how to track down the type of error I came here with and never did so on linux. I wouldn't know how to find out what piece of software another piece was linked against. In retrospect though I think this situation would have been difficult to figure out either way given both files were the same name and claimed to be the same version number, or am I misunderstanding something, I mean, is this something that can happen on linux? Or is a file of type .so one that in its nature differs due to another aspect, such as being generated as part of an installation process and embedding pieces of information of the machine it's being installed on?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!