Help opening the .raw file

diegonsf

Oct 3, 2020
Hello friends, I have a problem with my proxmox, when doing an update I had a power outage, at that moment when starting the system one of the vms stopped starting, doing disk analysis, I'm using linux ubuntu, I have 16 tb of file in a .raw file, would anyone have a solution on how I can open it so I can back up the files? Could someone give me a light?

hey diego, this is possibly not the best forum for that question, seems unrelated to proxmox backup server.
However, I did not try this, but i think one pretty easy way to reach the files is to import the disk to an existing VM. Then you can do whatever you want with that disk. the qm importdisk will add the disk to the storage you specify, as an "unused disk" by copying the data. You can then do whatever you want with that disk within the existing vm.

qm importdisk <existing vmid> <your path to raw file> <name-of-storage-to-put-the-unused-disk> --format raw

example:
qm importdisk 316 /mnt/pve/smith/images/555/vm-555-disk-0.raw backups --format raw

hey diego, this is possibly not the best forum for that question, seems unrelated to proxmox backup server.
However, I did not try this, but i think one pretty easy way to reach the files is to import the disk to an existing VM. Then you can do whatever you want with that disk. the qm importdisk will add the disk to the storage you specify, as an "unused disk" by copying the data. You can then do whatever you want with that disk within the existing vm.

qm importdisk <existing vmid> <your path to raw file> <name-of-storage-to-put-the-unused-disk> --format raw

example:
qm importdisk 316 /mnt/pve/smith/images/555/vm-555-disk-0.raw backups --format raw

Hello Friend.

used command show me information.

"qm importdisk 101 /mnt/pve/Data/images/101/vm-101-disk-0.raw local-lvm --format raw
importing disk '/mnt/pve/Data/images/101/vm-101-disk-0.raw' to VM 101 ...
WARNING: You have not turned on protection against thin pools running out of space.
WARNING: Set activation/thin_pool_autoextend_threshold below 100 to trigger automatic extension of thin pools before they get full.
Logical volume "vm-101-disk-0" created.
WARNING: Sum of all thin volume sizes (<15.66 TiB) exceeds the size of thin pool pve/data and the size of whole volume group (<465.26 GiB).
transferred: 0 bytes remaining: 17179869184000 bytes total: 17179869184000 bytes progression: 0.00 %"

the problem is that i need to mount it on my own proxmox and share the internal files of this image. have any commands to do that?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!