Help needed- VMWARE to Proxmox (KVM) for a Linux server.

kumarullal

Renowned Member
Jun 17, 2009
LA, USA
I tried to see if there was a post describing how to migrate vmware (ESX host) based linux VE in to proxmox KVM and did not find any answers.
However, there is this link------> That describes how to migrate but the VE is a windows server.
Can someone explain a step by step process for migrating a Linux VE running on VmWARE ESX host to proxpox KVM (Not openvz container)
Thanks in advance.

I am just in the process of migrating Virtual Iron (Killed by Oracle) guests to Proxmox. In Virtual Iron it is possible to export disk images to a .vhd file. I think this, or something similar, should be possible with VMware too. Before exporting, just make sure to remove the vmware tools from the guest.

Just move that image to your PVE host and convert it with:
qemu-img convert imagefile.vhd -O qcow2 vm-123-disk.qcow2

vm-123-disk.qcow2 is now a file you can use as a KVM disk.

"qemu-img convert" also works with other types of image files

I tried to see if there was a post describing how to migrate vmware (ESX host) based linux VE in to proxmox KVM and did not find any answers.
However, there is this link------> That describes how to migrate but the VE is a windows server.
Can someone explain a step by step process for migrating a Linux VE running on VmWARE ESX host to proxpox KVM (Not openvz container)
Thanks in advance.

tho questions:
which verison of ESX, which Linux OS?

I have a centos box that I moved from esx 3.5 to proxmox kvm. I used the vmware convertor to make it into a vmware server compatible image file. I copied that file over to the proxmox box, and ran the image tool on proxmox to convert it to a qcow image.

Andy

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!