Help installing Proxmox on VMWare Server 32 bit host

jvalla

Feb 27, 2010
As the topic states I am looking for help installing into VMWare on a 32 bit host. I have enabled all of the VM settings in the bios and the VMWare CPU checker tells me that I can run 64 bit guest systems.

When I mount the ISO and try to install proxmox, I am getting an error telling me that I am not running a 64 bit CPU. I have VMWare set to Debian 64 bit. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong or if there is a special configuration to accomplish this. Maybe I am missing something simple?

This is for a test environment and proof of concept. I fully intend to purchase the proper hardware spec for production IF I can prove the usefulness of proxmox.

Thanks in advance.

What is your "32-bit host" in detail?

I am using a Windows7 (32-bit) installation on my second desktop PC with VMware Workstation (latest). But as I got a 64-bit capable CPU (Intel Q6600), I can install Proxmox VE (but be aware, you can never use KVM inside VMware, just OpenVZ as VMware blocks the access to VT-x)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!