Help! I forgot the info and can't get into my server

Knight0Light

Aug 23, 2023
Dear more experienced proxmoxers,
I come to you with a very stupid problem of entirely my own design:
A few month ago I got myself a little HP computer and decided to get a proxmox cloud environment running on it so that I could learn more about cloud systems and maintaining them. I am a complete beginner and it took a lot of trial and error, but I got it up and running with some unix VMs. I got some hardware upgrades for the server, then basically forgot about it for several months.
Now, I need a cloud environment again for a class I am taking, and have realized that I have lost the following:
- My proxmox server's IP address
- My proxmox server's netmask, gateway, and DNS addresses
- My proxmox server's admin username and password

The server itself boots up fine, and when connected to a monitor just displays "Start PXE over IPV4"
I have absolutely no idea how to get back into my proxmox server. Is there some way to recover this information? Do I need to reinstall the whole thing?
Please help me.
Thank you.

Last edited:
The message should show you the URL to connect to. Your username is root. Using a boot-repair guide to chroot into the existing system will allow you to set the root password again. The details will depend on your filesystem, but I hope this will get you started.

The message should show you the URL to connect to. Your username is root. Using a boot-repair guide to chroot into the existing system will allow you to set the root password again. The details will depend on your filesystem, but I hope this will get you started.
Apologies, but what message? The only message the server gives me when I plug it into a monitor does not contain an ip address. See attached image for details.
Knowing that I can change the root password again is helpful though, thank you.

Attachments

• 20230823_130931.jpg
    20230823_130931.jpg
    776.3 KB · Views: 7
Then it's not booting up fine and is stuck at waiting to boot over the network...
If your PVE would have finished booting you would see what leesteken has described.

Your network config is probably also screwed up after upgrading hardware in case any PCIe card got added/removed/switched.
So attach a keyboard and have a look in the BIOS if your disk is still found, change boot order and so on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knight0Light
Then it's not booting up fine and is stuck at waiting to boot over the network...
If your PVE would have finished booting you would see what leesteken has described.

Your network config is probably also screwed up after upgrading hardware in case any PCIe card got added/removed/switched.
So attach a keyboard and have a look in the BIOS if your disk is still found, change boot order and so on.
I see, that makes sense. I assume I will need to wipe the computer and re-install proxmox from scratch?

Probably nothing that can't be fixed...the question is more if it is faster to fix it or setting up everything from scratch again.
I personally would try to fix it first...but I also know how to chroot into the PVE installation to change the root password and so on.
Wouldn't be that easy for a linux beginner.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knight0Light

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!