[Help] How to choose which SSD slots to use?

welcometors

Nov 2, 2023
Hi

I've brought Minisforum MS-01 and have been running proxmox from last 4 months on a single Samsung 3.84TB PM9A3 U.2 SSD drive stably.
Now, I've brought 2 more Samsung 3.84TB NVME SSD PM983.

The device has 3 slots
1. U.2 PCIe 4.0 x4 (max 8 GB/s) used by PM9A3 U.2 SSD (7 Gbsps)
2. M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 (max 4 GB/s) used by NVME SSD PM983 (3.2 Gbps)
3. M.2 PCIe 3.0 x2 (max 2 GB/s) used by NVME SSD PM983 (3.2 Gbps)

Now I want to install proxmox on mirrored zfs. And used the same mirror for mission critical VMs/LXCs like next-cloud and postgresql.
And use the other drive as lvm for everything else (like jellyfin and arr stack other non-critical stuff). This should be fine as I take regular backups on my synology nas.

What should I do?
Option 1: Use 1&2 as mirrored zfs effective speed will be 3.2Gbps and 3 as all other VMs (2Gbps)
Option 2: Use 2&3 as mirrored zfs effective speed will be 2Gbps and 1 as all other VMs (7Gbps)

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!