[SOLVED] help!!! grub rescue - proxmox 8.1

I have the same Problem as described here (old Proxmox Installation without ESP that no langer Boots After a Robot with the error „grub rescue“).

https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/h...ibt-mit-unknown-filesystem-hängen-zfs.139046/

Unfortunately, the USB Stick Solution described here doesn‘t work for me. I get the following error Message:

Code:
proxmox-boot-tool format /dev/sde1 --force
Warning! One or more CRCs don´t match. You should repair the disk!
Invalid partition data!

proxmox-boot-tool init /dev/sde1
E: /dev/sde1 has wrong partition type

What am I doing wrong? Does the USB Stick have to be portioned beforehand?

Thank you

Tony

P. S. Please excuse my bad english. I am not a native speaker.
What does fdisk -l /dev/sde say on that partition table?

I had the same problem. Fixed it with a bootable USB-Stick where Proxmox was installed in EFI Mode.
I installed Proxmox from a USB boot medium to another 15 GB USB stick. Unfortunately this doesn't work to boot the original system.
The boot process always ends in an initramfs console.
The drives sda, sdb and sdc are the previous ZFS installation. The drive sde is the Proxmox installation stick. The drive sdd2 will become the new boot drive.

IMG_1380.jpg
findmnt /
zpool import -f -R /mnt rpool
mount -o rbind /proc /mnt/proc
mount -o rbind /sys /mnt/sys
mount -o rbind /dev /mnt/dev
mount -o rbind /run /mnt/run
chroot /mnt /bin/bash
IMG_1382.jpg

proxmox-boot-tool format /dev/sdd2 --force
proxmox-boot-tool init /dev/sdd2
proxmox-boot-tool clean
proxmox-boot-tool status

IMG_1383.jpg

IMG_1386.jpg

The boot process always ends in an initramfs console. Here I can do a

zpool import -f rpool

IMG_1387.jpg

However, the boot process still stops at initramfs.

When I When I press CTRL + D after rebooting I get this message:

IMG_1388.jpg

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you

tony

Last edited:
We have now solved this problem here. ... Server is still booting... :) Screenshot attached.
Apparently the partition type is made up of the different flags. After a few tries I had the right combo.

Attachments

• gparted.png
    gparted.png
    46.3 KB · Views: 31
We have now solved this problem here. ... Server is still booting... :) Screenshot attached.
Apparently the partition type is made up of the different flags. After a few tries I had the right combo.
Thank you for the information.

Do I understand correctly, you have partitioned a USB stick as shown in the screenshot and provided it with the specified flags. Then then:

chroot /mnt /bin/bash
proxmox-boot-tool format /dev/sdg2 --force
proxmox-boot-tool init /dev/sdg2

reboot

or was something else required (install grub?)?

Thank you!

Thank you for the information.

Do I understand correctly, you have partitioned a USB stick as shown in the screenshot and provided it with the specified flags. Then then:

chroot /mnt /bin/bash
proxmox-boot-tool format /dev/sdg2 --force
proxmox-boot-tool init /dev/sdg2

reboot

or was something else required (install grub?)?

Thank you!
That's it. Grub installed automaticly if requierd with the proxmox-boot-tool.

Reactions: proxuser77
That's it. Grub installed automaticly if requierd with the proxmox-boot-tool.
The USB stick boots for me. But the boot process gets stuck at initramfs. I can run zpool import -f rpool. But the next time i start the error occurs again.

how can I get my system to start?

Best regards

tony

i have a 5 years proxmox server installed with the early 5.x versions with zfs. Until now with all the upgrades everything worked perfectly and had version 8.

Yesterday i upgraded and after the reboot i get "GRUB RESCUE - UNKNOWN FILESYSTEM" error.
just as a heads-up: that is not enough. any change to the files in /boot can expose the issue - the ZFS implementation inside Grub is really brittle.
F***, it is exploded today during the reboot. The installation is many, many years old, so no ESP partition yet. Therefore reinstall. o_O

Those comments feel very real to me!

FWIW, I have undertaken and written up: Switching from legacy boot when there is no space for ESP partition.

The USB stick boots for me. But the boot process gets stuck at initramfs. I can run zpool import -f rpool. But the next time i start the error occurs again.

how can I get my system to start?

Best regards

tony
I had the same issue (stuck on initramfs after booting from the USB stick with the EFI partition)

My guess is that the boot cmdline is copied from the proxmox rescue boot when setting up the USB boot stick, so you need to change it to match your existing proxmox zfs root:

I fixed it like this:
  1. on boot, at the boot menu of the USB stick, press "e" before it starts booting
  2. replace the entire boot command line by:
    Code:
    root=ZFS=rpool/ROOT/pve-1 boot=zfs zfsforce=1 nomodeset
    Notes:
    - if the root pool on your system isn't rpool -> change the name accordingly
    - zfsforce=1 was needed because I didn't export the zpool at the end of fireon's commands above to setup the USB boot stick
    - nomodeset was needed on my system because I got a blank screen after boot (it makes the boot text and login prompt low resolution but I don't care about that)
    - you may want to add extra kernel settings depending on your needs (special hardware drivers, iommu stuff, kernel mitigations, etc.)
  3. now the system should boot (hurrah!) but to make the fix persistent you need to edit the kernel cmdline for future boots:
    Code:
    echo "root=ZFS=rpool2/ROOT/pve-1 boot=zfs zfsforce=1 nomodeset" > /etc/kernel/cmdline
    pve-efiboot-tool refresh

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!