help - emergency

Algon

Jul 2, 2009
It's probably only a small problem, but as my promox 2.1 host made a reboot under the backup (snapshot) the volume is still locked, and the VM cannot start, where do I release the lock???

I struggle with this trouble today. I tried to resolve the problem by this command "qm unlock 204", but I got error output:
[root@proxmox-slave:/var/lib/vz#] qm unlock 204
unable to open file '/etc/pve/nodes/proxmox-slave/qemu-server/204.conf.tmp.184320' - Permission denied
Any help will be appreciated.

you have a cluster and you lost quorum?

you have a cluster and you lost quorum?
Yes, you are right! I tried set up cluster in the last week, using this article: http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Proxmox_VE_2.0_Cluster
On the first node all was well: I typed "pvecm create CLUSTERNAME" and "pvecm nodes" commands - the cluster config was been created and I was able to see cluster's node.
Then I logged to second node and typed "pvecm add IP-ADDRESS-CLUSTER" and configuration was hung at set up quorum. I was frustrated because in the above how to nothing was said about quorum problem and 3 node cluster at least (now I have only 2 physical machines with proxmox).
Then I deleted second node from the cluster, and save other settings (on the first node). All worked fine about 2 weeks, but yesterday my NFS-backup server got a problem with HDDs and hung. My proxmox server should do a backup job, but NFS wasn't available. I restarted proxmox server and got problem with automatically VM's start up. OpenVZ VM's started after manually "vzctl start vmid" command, but KVM VM's show me the lock error die to backup job.

How can I resolve this problem? Can I set up 2-node non-HA cluster to run away from quorum error? I don't have fencing device and SAN right now, but I needn't HA cluster feature. Only centralised web management and VM's migration are desirable for me right now.

PS: Sorry for my english. It's not native language for me. Thanks.

Yes, you are right! I tried set up cluster in the last week, using this article: http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Proxmox_VE_2.0_Cluster
On the first node all was well: I typed "pvecm create CLUSTERNAME" and "pvecm nodes" commands - the cluster config was been created and I was able to see cluster's node.
Then I logged to second node and typed "pvecm add IP-ADDRESS-CLUSTER" and configuration was hung at set up quorum. I was frustrated because in the above how to nothing was said about quorum problem and 3 node cluster at least (now I have only 2 physical machines with proxmox).
Then I deleted second node from the cluster, and save other settings (on the first node). All worked fine about 2 weeks, but yesterday my NFS-backup server got a problem with HDDs and hung. My proxmox server should do a backup job, but NFS wasn't available. I restarted proxmox server and got problem with automatically VM's start up. OpenVZ VM's started after manually "vzctl start vmid" command, but KVM VM's show me the lock error die to backup job.

How can I resolve this problem? Can I set up 2-node non-HA cluster to run away from quorum error? I don't have fencing device and SAN right now, but I needn't HA cluster feature. Only centralised web management and VM's migration are desirable for me right now.

PS: Sorry for my english. It's not native language for me. Thanks.

1. does your network support IP multicast?
2. and post "cat /etc/hosts" from both nodes

1. does your network support IP multicast?
2. and post "cat /etc/hosts" from both nodes
Yes, IP-multicast is enabled. I tested it by asmping command. It's works.

[root@proxmox-slave:~#] cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
10.0.10.7 proxmox-slave.local proxmox-slave pvelocalhost

# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts

::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

[root@proxmox-backup:~#] cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
10.0.10.9 proxmox-backup.local proxmox-backup pvelocalhost

# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts

::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

[root@proxmox-slave:~#] /etc/init.d/cman start
Starting cluster:
Checking if cluster has been disabled at boot... [ OK ]
Checking Network Manager... [ OK ]
Global setup... [ OK ]
Loading kernel modules... [ OK ]
Mounting configfs... [ OK ]
Starting cman... Cannot find node name in cluster.conf
Unable to get the configuration
Cannot find node name in cluster.conf
cman_tool: corosync daemon didn't start Check cluster logs for details
[FAILED]

[root@proxmox-slave:~#] cat /etc/pve/cluster.conf
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<cluster name="BAKULEV" config_version="4">

<cman keyfile="/var/lib/pve-cluster/corosync.authkey">
</cman>

<clusternodes>

</clusternodes>

</cluster>

What do we describe in the <cluster> tag? All existing node or only slaves machine? How many strings should be there with two-node cluster configuration?
Also I found a workaround for two-node cluster, that solves a quorum problem:
http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Two-Node_High_Availability_Cluster
To be able to create and manage a two-node cluster, edit the cman configuration part to include this:

<cman two_node="1" expected_votes="1"> </cman>
Should it help me with 2-node non-HA cluster or not?

Hi,

I had similar and think I worked it out..

You need to start the cluster file system in Local mode.

First stop it..
# /etc/init.d/pve-cluster stop

then start in Local mode
# /usr/bin/pmxcfs -l

then remove (or backup etc) your cluster.conf
# mv /etc/pve/cluster.conf ~/

Then stop and start the cluster file system normally

# /etc/init.d/pve-cluster start

hope that helps

Tim

Hi,

I had similar and think I worked it out..

You need to start the cluster file system in Local mode.

First stop it..

then start in Local mode
# /usr/bin/pmxcfs -l

then remove (or backup etc) your cluster.conf
# mv /etc/pve/cluster.conf ~/

Then stop and start the cluster file system normally

# /etc/init.d/pve-cluster start

hope that helps

Tim

Thnx this solved my problem also :p

http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/17...Totem-is-trying-form-a-cluster-How-can-i-stop

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!