Help - Assigned pcie device and server becomes unresponsive

9ann0n

Apr 6, 2017
I was trying to add a Mellanox fiber card and was assigning what I thought was the correct PCI device to the appropriate VM.

Didn't seem to work on the first try so I did a reboot of the baremetal machine to see if that would start it correctly. I'm not exacltly sure what happened, but proxmox started up fine and got to the login screen but then once the VM (set to auto start) turns on, I lose everything on the screen and I can no longer access the baremetal proxmox install via web, ssh, or locally.

I have no idea how to go about fixing it without the CLI or web interface. Please help. I do have backups of the VMs so could reciver if necessary by rebuilding the whole thing, but I would rather avoid that if possible.

Thanks.

This it more a Proxmox VE configuration question, not a Proxmox Backup Server question. (Maybe an administrator can move this topic?)
Can you show us your IOMMU groups using this command: for d in /sys/kernel/iommu_groups/*/devices/*; do n=${d#*/iommu_groups/*}; n=${n%%/*}; printf 'IOMMU group %s ' "$n"; lspci -nns "${d##*/}"; done? It sound like the PCI device is not alone in its group and your Proxmox host loses the disk drive and/or network devices. Can you also show the VM configuration file (it's in /etc/pve/qemu-server/)?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!