HELP! - Almost quiting to VMware...

Wow, Proxmox certainly has no part in this. I'm even inclined to put my hand in the fire that it has nothing to do with Proxmox. I've been using Proxmox since 2015 and have never had the problems you described.

I have seen and managed many setups with it, usually even larger managed setups with large online shops and IBM software - everything ran perfectly on Proxmox. In my opinion, Proxmox is rock solid.

I would therefore be interested to know in more detail what your problems actually are and what the causes are.

GLHF. Please let us know if the same hardware works flawless with VMware.
Hello.

Yes. Unfortunately I had to give up an go back to ESXi. Everything is working flawless, running smoothly.
But, i don't want to go into the discussion of this against that.

It's just my experience. For sure it was something with my lack of knowledge.

Reactions: leesteken
Wow, Proxmox certainly has no part in this. I'm even inclined to put my hand in the fire that it has nothing to do with Proxmox. I've been using Proxmox since 2015 and have never had the problems you described.

I have seen and managed many setups with it, usually even larger managed setups with large online shops and IBM software - everything ran perfectly on Proxmox. In my opinion, Proxmox is rock solid.

I would therefore be interested to know in more detail what your problems actually are and what the causes are.

I don't doubt it. All the time I've put the blames on myself and my lack of knowledge.
But, after a week without sleep, I had no other option.

We can discuss this in private, because It's not my intention to start a discussion about "who's the best".

I just had a bad experience, probably because of my lack of knowledge.

Last edited:
I don't doubt it. All the time I've put the blames on myself and my lack of knowledge.
But, after a week without sleep, I had no other option.
That's not nice, I'm sorry if PVE gave you so much of a headache.

Personally, I am definitely very convinced of Proxmox and also CEPH as storage. I also don't like HP or Fujitsu as server systems. So everyone has their preferences. The community would have liked to help you sort out your problems - but there's no point in struggling with something that, for whatever reason, doesn't work as desired.

From an administration perspective, I definitely think it's important to be able to work with and deal with the infrastructure. Especially in an emergency situation, you should feel familiar with everything. So your decision is certainly not a bad one. If you use PVE on the side, then maybe you can learn to love it too.

That's not nice, I'm sorry if PVE gave you so much of a headache.

Personally, I am definitely very convinced of Proxmox and also CEPH as storage. I also don't like HP or Fujitsu as server systems. So everyone has their preferences. The community would have liked to help you sort out your problems - but there's no point in struggling with something that, for whatever reason, doesn't work as desired.

From an administration perspective, I definitely think it's important to be able to work with and deal with the infrastructure. Especially in an emergency situation, you should feel familiar with everything. So your decision is certainly not a bad one. If you use PVE on the side, then maybe you can learn to love it too.
Thanks @sb-jw , for your kind words.

For sure I'll keep working with Proxmox.

vmware/broadcom is a greedy https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/18pprts/news_broadcom_hands_vmware_partners_termination/

i'm sure proxmox will get a lot of new customers or partners, soon ;)

Well, they don't need them anymore, it's a pretty savvy business decision. There's an issue with this thread though, it feels a bit like Stockholm syndrome (despite it might be actually helpful to anyone with similar hardware setup to find it). Also it's kind of funny anti-way to keep it popping up again and again.

Well, they don't need them anymore, it's a pretty savvy business decision. There's an issue with this thread though, it feels a bit like Stockholm syndrome (despite it might be actually helpful to anyone with similar hardware setup to find it). Also it's kind of funny anti-way to keep it popping up again and again.
@tempacc346235 .

Sorry for this, that's not my way of deal with this situations. I've said along this thread that the issue must be related with my lack of knowledge.

In fact, I have now a new ongoing project, with an exactly server model, and I'm going to try PVE again, now with the help of the server provider, so we can narrow down the issues.

I've told you that I've not abandoned PVE, it was just something I couldn't manage with this pressure.

Have an happy new year.

@tempacc346235 .

Sorry for this, that's not my way of deal with this situations. I've said along this thread that the issue must be related with my lack of knowledge.

In fact, I have now a new ongoing project, with an exactly server model, and I'm going to try PVE again, now with the help of the server provider, so we can narrow down the issues.

I've told you that I've not abandoned PVE, it was just something I couldn't manage with this pressure.

Have an happy new year.

Hi @jose.cardoso , I didn't mean you, I do not have any horses in the race, I am dispensing more ironic remarks here than some might like, I believe criticism is good (it makes one improve).

Factually, I do not like 2 things about this thread:
1) Title - should be changed to describe the actual issue (better for others when searching)
2) We do know it worked in ESXi, but we do not know WHY ... it would be great if you find out and follow up.

On a related note, I do not understand anyone further here blaming user/themselves. We just do not know. We should be able to find out. I would suspect it's not you, I would not blame hardware when it works with something else. I think it's either kernel or KVM.

Happy New one too!

Hello all.

Lately I've been trying to figure out what might have happening with my situation, expressed here, and why my server is working with ESXi and why I had so much problems with PVE.

So, I've found this thread https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/p...ue-with-windows-server-2019-vms.130727/page-8 and, after reading troughout all the 8 pages, I've found a lot of similarities with what I've experienced.

So, it looks like there's issues with PVE 8.0 and upper, and latest 6.x kernels.

This symptoms occurred with MS Windows Servers 2019, and it looks like it's more severe with 2 CPU servers and with large ammounts of RAM, so the configuration of my server, but Windows Server 2022.

Probably I should read the forum threads before.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!