[SOLVED] Help about cpu type

Use host for max performance, but only if you have a singlehost. If you have a cluster, make sure all hosts have same cpu, otherwise livemigration might not work.

Use host for max performance, but only if you have a singlehost. If you have a cluster, make sure all hosts have same cpu, otherwise livemigration might not work.

Sorry I forgot to mention that I don't want to use host but keep the processor inside of machine "generic", but with the right features.

Both my cpu supports AES so the default x86-64v2 AES should be ok, but maybe I can set the v3 or the v4.. but how can I check if the instructions of the v3 and v4 are supported by the xeons I have?

Hi,
Hello, I have a proxmox server with a Xeon E3-1265L v3 (link intel ark) and another machine with a Xeon E3-1240 v6 (link intel ark), how can I choose the right cpu type?
if the nodes are in a cluster, you need a CPU type both hosts support for live migration. Otherwise you can just select the most fitting model from the list.

The wiki page is auto-generated from the documentation and it seems something went wrong with the link during conversion. The list is available here: https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#chapter_qm_vcpu_list

Sorry I forgot to mention that I don't want to use host but keep the processor inside of machine "generic", but with the right features.

Both my cpu supports AES so the default x86-64v2 AES should be ok, but maybe I can set the v3 or the v4.. but how can I check if the instructions of the v3 and v4 are supported by the xeons I have?
You need >=Broadwell for x86-64-v3 and >=Skylake for x86-64-v4, so I think your Haswell CPU is too old for either of them. QEMU should also tell you that features are not supported by the host CPU and refuse to start if you select and incompatible CPU model.

Reactions: crc-error-79

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!