Help a LVM idiot please

Cecil

Sep 22, 2017
Ok so I just reinstalled PVE 5.1 from scratch on my new server.
The server has /dev/sda 32Gb SSD
and /dev/sdb 20Tb raid5.

I installed everything on sda.
The followed 99 guides and added /sdb as a LVM member. This gave me a ton of space for containers but no space for ISO's.

So I shrunk the pve-data VG and extended the pve-root VG by 50gb. However it does not change the actual local directory size and I can't seem to find a guide that really explains that well.

I'll attach a picture and then you can all go "psssh stupid you did it wrong" :)

Attachments

• lvm2.JPG
    lvm2.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 8
After changing the size of the block device, you need to adopt the size of the filesystem using resize2fs.

Sorry one more dumb followup question. I noticed that proxmox leaves the volume where the container files go as RAW filesystem, I'm assuming this is by design and I shouldn't try and mess with it by making it a ext3/4 fs or anything like that?

Sorry one more dumb followup question. I noticed that proxmox leaves the volume where the container files go as RAW filesystem, I'm assuming this is by design and I shouldn't try and mess with it by making it a ext3/4 fs or anything like that?
Hi,
this is because the vm use the space as hdd, normaly with an partitiontable and different partitions (like boot, root, swap)

Udo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!