Headless server, how to boot with previous kernel?

mmenaz

Renowned Member
Jun 25, 2009
Northern east Italy
Hi, my home proxmox "server" is headless and does not have any IPMI console. I need to boot it with previous kernel, but if I try to remove the last one as suggested in this thread https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/c...boot-systemd-boot-on-headless-pve-host.59593/ it will try to remove proxmox-ve!!
Would love to have info about how to solve this, I think quite common in test setups, issue of the boot from previous kernel with a grup install (my current case) and an systemd-boot install, thanks a lot!

Code:
# uname -a
Linux proxmox 5.4.60-1-pve #1 SMP PVE 5.4.60-2 (Fri, 04 Sep 2020 10:24:50 +0200) x86_64 GNU/Linux
root@proxmox:~# dpkg -l | grep pve-kernel
ii  pve-firmware                         3.1-3                           all          Binary firmware code for the pve-kernel
ii  pve-kernel-5.4                       6.2-6                           all          Latest Proxmox VE Kernel Image
ii  pve-kernel-5.4.44-2-pve              5.4.44-2                        amd64        The Proxmox PVE Kernel Image
ii  pve-kernel-5.4.60-1-pve              5.4.60-2                        amd64        The Proxmox PVE Kernel Image
ii  pve-kernel-helper                    6.2-6                           all          Function for various kernel maintenance tasks.
root@proxmox:~# apt remove pve-kernel-5.4.60-1-pve
The following package was automatically installed and is no longer required:
  pve-kernel-helper
Use 'apt autoremove' to remove it.
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  proxmox-ve pve-kernel-5.4 pve-kernel-5.4.60-1-pve
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 3 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
After this operation, 288 MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
W: (pve-apt-hook) !! WARNING !!
W: (pve-apt-hook) You are attempting to remove the meta-package 'proxmox-ve'!
W: (pve-apt-hook) 
W: (pve-apt-hook) If you really want to permanently remove 'proxmox-ve' from your system, run the following command
W: (pve-apt-hook)       touch '/please-remove-proxmox-ve'
W: (pve-apt-hook) run apt purge proxmox-ve to remove the meta-package
W: (pve-apt-hook) and repeat your apt invocation.
W: (pve-apt-hook) 
W: (pve-apt-hook) If you are unsure why 'proxmox-ve' would be removed, please verify
W: (pve-apt-hook)       - your APT repository settings
W: (pve-apt-hook)       - that you are using 'apt full-upgrade' to upgrade your system
E: Sub-process /usr/share/proxmox-ve/pve-apt-hook returned an error code (1)
E: Failure running script /usr/share/proxmox-ve/pve-apt-hook
root@proxmox:~#

you can use 'grub-reboot' for grub, for systemd-boot mounting the used ESP and using 'bootctl' should work.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!