He swap usage, lots of free ram

rossd

Nov 16, 2023
Sorry if this is a daft question, but I thought swap was used if the system was low on ram. My ram usage is generally pretty good:

1700124151541.png

But my swap upsate is always really high?

1700124108219.png

Is this something I should worry about?

Sorry if this is a daft question, but I thought swap was used if the system was low on ram. My ram usage is generally pretty good:

But my swap upsate is always really high?
And yes, this has been discussed many times on the forum. Feel free to search it a bit.
Is this something I should worry about?
No, swap is used if Linux "feels like" the "unused" memory can be better used for file cache (which shows as unused because it can be make available instantly). Your system looks fine.
Only when Linux starts also reading from swap a lot, so called "thrashing" with high I/O delay, then there is a problem. The swap-line is unfortunately red because it uses the standard color scheme.

Reactions: LnxBil
I really appreciate you answering despite that being the case. I saw red so worried. Knowing it looks fine is what I was after! Many thanks!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!