[SOLVED] HBA Card/JBOD issues

Something else that may be worth looking at - Don't know what connector your using from external SAS port to the JBOD, but maybe it needs checking/reseating/replacing, I'm thinking some sort of short connection there is causing all of this PCI monkey-business.

Reactions: justinclift
Something else that may be worth looking at - Don't know what connector your using from external SAS port to the JBOD, but maybe it needs checking/reseating/replacing, I'm thinking some sort of short connection there is causing all of this PCI monkey-business.
I have reseated the cable. But not replaced it. i have a cable that i could try replacing it with when i get home today.

Aside from that cable, when you get home today check if it's definitely booting into the older 6.5 kernel instead of the new default of 6.8.

When it is, I'd try grabbing the kernel logs again, but for the 6.5 kernel this time.

That problem showing up in the kernel is pretty much the lpfc driver crashing as it's going about it's initialisation routine, and is a serious issue.

Hopefully a simple cable change fixes it. :)

Reactions: Tezza
So i just got home and i was curious what happened and it never rebooted. I turned on the monitor to that server and it still said "rebooting..."
so i thought there could be hope. I manually turned the server off then back on and it used the 6.2 kernel i know has worked before and it works just fine :)
i have network and i can see my jbod drives.

Last edited:
That's weird.

Would you be ok to paste the output from uname -a here?

As an example, here's the output from one of my systems:

Bash:
# uname -a
Linux home1 6.5.13-5-pve #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC PMX 6.5.13-5 (2024-04-05T11:03Z) x86_64 GNU/Linux

That being said, since things are working with the 6.2 kernel it's almost definitely nothing hardware (cable, etc) related.

Would you be ok to paste the output from uname -a here?
Linux clotho 6.2.16-20-pve #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC PMX 6.2.16-20 (2023-12-01T13:17Z) x86_64 GNU/Linux

I can add 6.5 and see if it works i just had 6.2 installed and wanted to try it since i knew it worked with my JBOD before.

Yeah, I'd try 6.5 as an experiment to see whether or not it works.

While technically you can stick with 6.2 "forever", at some point in the future it'll become so old that problems start to arise. That's possibly years away though. ;)

If we can figure out a working solution with the more standard 6.5 kernel (and maybe 6.8 after they fix the many reported bugs), that would probably be a better future-proofing path. That's in theory anyway. :)

Reactions: Tezza
As I imagined (my post above) this is yet another one of those kernel 6.8 bugs! I hope all these bugs get ironed out / mitigated in a future release.

I'm happy you've got yourself worked out - although you'll obviously be waiting for the next kernel update (which you should try when it becomes available - you can always go back again to the working 6.5 one again).

Maybe tag mark the thread-title with [SOLVED], (upper right hand corner under title).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!