have qemu-guest-agent installed by default

shantanu

Mar 30, 2012
currently using version " Backup Server 0.8-9 ". would it be possible to add the package "qemu-guest-agent" as part of the default installed packages?
use case is that the PBS will be a VM itself! :)

which is a possible, but not the recommended scenario so we won't add that to the list of dependencies/default packages..

> but not the recommended scenario

Why is it not recommended to install qemu-guest-agent on PBS?

Why is it not recommended to install qemu-guest-agent on PBS?
Because it is for multiple reasons recommended to run PBS bare metal with local SSD storage on dedicated hardware and not virtualized on top of PVE ;)

PS: PBS using the guest agent is still working fine but you will have to install it on your own using apt update && apt install qemu-guest-agent.

Last edited:
> run PBS bare metal with local SSD storage on dedicated hardware and not virtualized on top of PVE

Maybe you won't approve of my setup:

- Virtualized NAS running TrueNAS
- The NAS VM has directly connected drives via Proxmox and ZFS 3 drives
- PBS VM connected to virtualized NAS

Why? I simply don't have so much access to hardware and data centres at this site. I have to be creative with VMs. I need to dynamically adjust my resources which are expensive on this single bare metal.

> PBS using the guest agent is still working fine but you will have to install it

I don't think PBS has that repo but I'll check again.

EDIT: Apologies, it's there with the no subscription repo.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!