Hardware Issue Proxmox with HP Z420

jo der bohrer

Mar 21, 2018
For my first install of VE 5.1 in early 2018 I bought 2 workstations HP Z420 with Xeon 1620 (8 core). First I got plenty of problems while installing. Flashing red lines in the first boot etc. After working hard on that I managed to install VE on that 2 servers.
Unfortunately I had to experience faults on both of these production machines.
A colleague of mine suggested to try another brand: Dell. So I got a used Workstation Dell Precision T3600 with a Xeon 1620. This time everthing went flawless. No red flashing lines, instant install and a much speedier server than ever. Even the WebGUI responds in no time; exactly opposite to the HP Z420 behaviour.

And today I looked at the CPU Usage of the one Z420 and the Dell T3600. With nearly equivalent loads of VMs there is 4 fold difference in the CPU load, with the Dell hovering around 1% to 2% , the HP 5% to 8%.

Now I want to dig into this. So I visited the driver site of their makers. And now I saw it: On the HP site many Bios Updates plus lots of drivers for Linux with info texts declaring "Fix of a bug causing kernel crash ..."
On the Dell site: no such a thing, only a minor Bios update, but not essential for Linux.

Now the question: Is it worth doing all this Bios and driver update stuff on a HP Z420? Has anybody worked this out to a reliable and well responding server?

I am running 3x Z400 and BIOS updates are a must. Will check the drivers now that you mentioned it tho! :D

PS. Just checked, BIOS update is fine to download to an usb key and update. Drivers for linux I wouldn't touch with a 10ft pole! :) DS.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!