HA VM (KVM) reboots on pressing "Shutdown"

antubis

Apr 20, 2012
i have some HA KVM virtual machines in a 2-node-cluster.
on pressing shutdown in the proxmox web gui, the guest OS (debian squeeze) shuts down correctly and the VM stops. unfortunally a few seconds later it gets started again (by the HA service i think). the same happens when shutting down the guest OS directy (e.g. by typing 'halt' or 'shutdown').

try to uncheck start on boot before shutdown in VM Options (Options -> Start at boot)

yes, thats the way HA works!

what do you want to do? If you click "stop", the HA manager sends a ACPI shutdown command to the guest and also disable the VM (from HA). I assume you want this?

in my opinion, 'Shutdown' has to stop the VM in the HA service (or marks it as stopped or whatever) and to send a shut down to the guest OS. on the other hand 'Stop' has to instantly power-off a VM (and of course stop it in HA service).
also, in my opinion, HA is to catch a hardware failure of an underlying host and not to catch an intended shutdown of a VM.

(but that's all just my opinion... to know that the 'Stop'-Button does the work of 'Shutdown' currently helps me out... thanks for the info ;) )

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!