HA (live) migration of VM

bazzi

Jun 4, 2010
As far as we see in tests it is still not possible, correct?

Do you have a time frame to include that in V2.0? Now for some reason the HA VM's are all on one host, and we want to spread those so the load is kind of balanced...

Hmmm when I migrate a HA VM (kvm) to a other node whit livemigration it will migrate but then be stopped and restarted on the original node...

XNBD looks like it will work, I have not tried it myself but I have been using DRBD for the last 3 years in a failover environment without any problems at all, DRBD has a proven record for working really well with this sort of thing and very easy to fix when you get "Split Brain" ... this is when a machine come back up and can not decide which machine has the newer data...

If you are looking into using VM's on both machines at the same time you will need the DRBD storage to be formatted to something like ZFS which allows the volume to be mounted on more than one machine at one time...

Last edited:
If your disk images are stored on one host then you will need to either have some sort of shared storage between each machine or setup a drbd.

Yes i have a shared lvm for my cluster and everything is working fine. Only the migration of HA vm is giving trouble. If the vm is not HA migration works smootly.

Hmmm when I migrate a HA VM (kvm) to a other node whit livemigration it will migrate but then be stopped and restarted on the original node...

Live migration for HA managed VMs is simply not implemented on the GUI. You need to do that on the command line ('clusvcadm')

I thought that was the problem ;-)

Ok thanks for the tip, I got it working!

A little howto:

Run clustat:
Code:
root@sint:~# clustatCluster Status for IMS-EVO @ Sun Feb 19 14:15:32 2012
Member Status: Quorate

Member Name                                                     ID   Status
 ------ ----                                                     ---- ------
 sint                                                                1 Online, Local, rgmanager
 rupsjenooitgenoeg                                                   2 Online, rgmanager
 timo                                                                3 Online, rgmanager

Service Name                                                     Owner (Last)                                                     State
 ------- ----                                                     ----- ------                                                     -----
 pvevm:200                                                        rupsjenooitgenoeg                                                started
 pvevm:201                                                        rupsjenooitgenoeg                                                started

Pick the "Member Name" of the targed node, in my case "timo".
Pick the "Service Name" of the VM what will be migrated, in my case "pvevm:201"

Migrate the VM:
Code:
# clusvcadm -M pvevm:201 -m timo
Trying to migrate pvevm:201 to timo...Success

An the VM is live migrated to the other node!

So the command is:
clusvcadm -M "Service Name" -m "Member Name"
(replace the bold parts)

OK, works fine with clusvcadm, but not really intuitive...

Can we hope transparent GUI integration, be a VM HA managed or not?

Thx for this impressive piece of software!

Christophe.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!