HA Design

markp

Sep 28, 2020
Houston, Texas
I currently have a 4 node HCI cluster that's working quite well. It will be expanding to 8 nodes total and be used for critical services. All of the testing was satisfactory and management was duly impressed. I am reinstalling the cluster from scratch in order to ensure none of the testing bits are hanging around and to produce documentation for our environment. Each node has:

2x 120GB SSDs in ZFS RAID 1 for the OS
1x 480 GB SSD for OSD (We will be moving to 2x or 3x 1TB SSDs)

2X Intel X710 2 Port 10GB NICs
- Card 1 Port 1/Card 2 Port 1, 802.3ad, bond0, used for vmbr0, 10.201.0.0/23
- Card 1 Port 2/Card 2 Port 2, 802.3ad, bond1, 192.168.21.0/24

1X Intel I350 (onboard) 2 port 1 GB NIC
- Both ports ALB bond, bond1, 192.168.20.0/4

I wish I could get separate drives for WAL and DB but that's not in the cards, I've already pushed and been told "no" so I have to live with what I have there.

I am trying to piece together what is the best networking setup. We need VMs/Containers to migrate if they can't be reached on the 10.201.0.0 network. I had split Corosync out to the 192.168.20.0 network but that doesn't trigger migration if the 10.201.0.0 network goes down and for obvious reasons. I also want to optimize the Ceph networking as well. Reinstalling, as is required for the project, gives me the chance to get everything right and ensure I am following best practices.

My initial thoughts are:

1. Leave vmbr0 configured as it is now with the 802.3ad bond to provide ingress and egress for the VMs via the 10.201.0.0 network
  2. Configure Corosync to run on the 10.201.0.0 network as that's the most important network as the VMs must remain available
  3. Configure the Ceph public network on the 192.168.21.0 network and not define a cluster network.
  4. Ignore the 1GB network for now
I am open to any suggestions at all at this point. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Hi,
please be aware that corosync requires a very low latency on the network. You said that the VMs should be reachable via the 10.201.0.0 network. Can you make sure that this traffic does not ever interfere with the corosync traffic?

As this seems to be the scenario you're worried about when using a different network for corosync:
When exactly would
10.201.0.0 network down on node A
10.201.0.0 network up on other nodes
corosync network still up on node A
happen?

I had this scenario happen during testing. If the network cables are removed from the interface on the 10.201.0.0 subnet, on any given node and corosync is running on a separate network then the VMs do not migrate. While the scenario should be extremely rare as the 10.201.0.0 network is a bonded network as described above, management saw fit to include removing the cables for an entire interface to the testing matrix. It's a scenario that would require 2 cables to be pulled or to NICs to fail at the same time.

Ok, makes sense. A bit of a messy alternative to your solution would be to monitor the 10.201.0.0 subnet on each node and when there's serious problems, bring down the interface for corosync on that node too.
I hope that your way of doing it works out, but again, it's best to avoid heavy traffic on the 10.201.0.0 subnet then.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!