GUI isn't working, SSH isn't working

Queless

Nov 13, 2015
Hello. I deracked/reracked my server and changed IP addresses. For some reason after reconfiguring the server for the new IP I'm no longer able to use the browser GUI or am I able to SSH in. Using the command "service pve-cluster restart" I was able to fix it and use the web GUI but was still unable to SSH(obviously). For some reason after a restart(or possibly a crash) I'm not able to access the GUI again. I'm able to ping google. I'm using proxmox 4.

Can anyone help me figure out what dumb thing I did? Thank you :)

Attachments

• etchosts.PNG
    etchosts.PNG
    60.9 KB · Views: 27
  • networkinterfaces.PNG
    networkinterfaces.PNG
    150.2 KB · Views: 28
Update: service pve-cluster restart no longer fixes the web interface. No other changes have been made except to virtual machines. I'm totally lost here.

Is SSHd running (ps waux | grep ssh)? What happens when you run "telnet localhost 22"?

Is your (old) IP hardcoded in /etc/ssh/sshd_config? If yes, change it and run "service ssh restart".

What are the nameservers in /etc/resolv.conf? If they are from your old ISP you may need to change them. You can try with 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (Google's public resolvers).

Only changed the IP, not the hostname also?

Is SSHd running (ps waux | grep ssh)? What happens when you run "telnet localhost 22"?

Is your (old) IP hardcoded in /etc/ssh/sshd_config? If yes, change it and run "service ssh restart".

What are the nameservers in /etc/resolv.conf? If they are from your old ISP you may need to change them. You can try with 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (Google's public resolvers).

Only changed the IP, not the hostname also?
Connected to localhost.localdomain.

No, and I also changed it after changing IPs (It was 0.0.0.0 before)

I'm able to ping google so DNS is working, but regardless it's set to google's DNS already.

The hostname where?

Thank you much for the reply :)

That's all? If that's it, it really looks like a DNS issue, but strange that DNS seems to work fine for resolving Google (does it resolve unknown domains also fast?) You should get something like:

Code:
root@node02:~# telnet localhost 22
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Escape character is '^]'.
SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_6.7p1 Debian-5+deb8u2

If you keep it open for a while, is the protocol/version info displayed then?

Can you post your /etc/ssh/sshd_config?

The hostname where?

Your hostfile and /etc/hostname. But if you didn't change it's OK.

What does "netstat -l | grep ssh" and "netstat -l | grep 8006" show?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!