Guest won´t shut down properly on backup

Alternativende

Renowned Member
Aug 27, 2015
Hello guys,
i have an issue with a Proxmox guest which is being backed up every night. Therefore i have chosen the "stop" method.

Unfortunately this specific guest won´t shut down cleanly when it comes to backup. It seems like it´s just being powered off. It´s a Debian 9 which hosts a Bareos installation.

When i shut it down via "qm shutdown 103" from the host it goes down as it should.

Im missing something in here but i can´t find out what it is.

Greetings

I suggest you enable the qemu-guest-agent in your VM config (activate it on the GUI) and then install the guest agent inside Debian.
See http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Qemu-guest-agent

(If you do not want qemu agent, please make sure that your Debian allows anonymous acpi shutdowns)

I believe Debian allows it by default.

Edit:
Guess i was wrong. I have installed the acpi-support-base package in Debian and now the shutdown looks much better. I will see if that solves my problem but i think so.

Great! Thanks!

Last edited:
Hello again,
sadly i must say that it´s not working anymore. I have no clue why but the VM isn´t shut down properly anymore.
What do i have to do in order to guarantee that Debian is shut down fine?

Strange thing is: I have an almost same scenario with Proxmox, Debian, an Bareos in another network working fine. It 's even same in the versions of the OS's and everything.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!