[SOLVED] Guest has not initialized display, after transferring VM to new host.

ps2pspgood

Nov 1, 2021
Hi,
I am very new to proxmox.
I would like to transfer my VM from one host to a new host. I followed the step on this site (https://cyberpersons.com/2016/09/13/backup-transfer-proxmox-vm-another-proxmox-node/).
Basically, I backed up my BM with stop mode. And download the .vma.zst file to my computer with winSCP. After I set up my new proxmox server, I upload the vma.zst file to the dump directory. Finally, I restore the VM and also change the GPU (remove the PCI and select the new one). However, the VM won't start... It crashed and only showing Guest has not initialized display (yet)...
How do I configure the setting of the VM to get it work?
What is the proper way to transfer a VM so that I could get it right next time?

Thank you very much!

Hi,
change to Default or VirtioGPU and check if system comes up.
If that is the case, install the drivers for your dedicated GPU and change back again.

Thank you for the reply.
I tried both. But it did not work...
I also remove the GPU (PCIE passthrough), but still not worked.

Does it work when you create a new blank VM?

Yes, it worked.
I created a new windows 10 VM with GPU successfully passed through.
Later I will try to reinstall ubuntu server.
But, if it cannot be migrated properly, it will be very painful for me in the future...

Ah!
I found the problem of that.
It turned out to be the difference in the kernel version.
The one I used before have turned the repository of un-subscription on. So, after I update the PVE. And retore the VM again, it worked like a charm.
Thank you very much for your great help and time.

Reactions: itNGO

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!