Guest boot problem

inxsible

Feb 6, 2020
Hello,

I have a problem where my containers start up fine when rebooting the server, but my vms don't start up even though they are set to start at boot. The error I get is
Bash:
Error: volume 'downloads:iso/archlinux-2020.02.01-x86_64.iso' does not exist

Another vm gives
Bash:
Error: volume 'downloads:iso/debian-10.2.0-amd64-netinst.iso' does not exist

However, once the server reboots, I can start these VMs manually without changing anything.

I have a NAS storage defined in my proxmox settings and 'downloads' is a folder under that NAS share. I have defined 'downloads' as a Directory storage in Proxmox. Proxmox automatically created the template/iso folders in my downloads folder and I copied over the isos in that folder from my desktop.
1582142069639.png

I can also see the isos in the Proxmox UI:

1582137003570.png

I must admit that initially I was sharing a different NAS folder to proxmox, but then decided to move the isos to a different location. Since creating the VMs and CTs, I hadn't really tested rebooting the server so I don't know if it would have worked before I changed the NAS mount point

I did see this article about the same issue: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Guest_Boot_Problems, but as I mentioned, the isos are available in that Directory.

I don't usually reboot servers, but I would sleep easy knowing that my VMs start at boot in case if I do reboot the server for any reason.

Last edited:
Those VMs are already installed, right? So the easiest solution is probably to set the CD drives of the VMs to not use any media.

Those VMs are already installed, right? So the easiest solution is probably to set the CD drives of the VMs to not use any media.
Yes, they are already installed. I was just trying to understand why it cannot see the iso files on boot of the host, but can see them later without issues.

I was just trying to understand why it cannot see the iso files on boot of the host, but can see them later without issues.
They are on a network share right? Possibly some timing issue with the share not being mounted fast enough. The other option would be to add a start delay [0] to the VMs, but then they will still depend on the share being mounted by the time they boot up and there could always be the case when the NAS has some problems.

[0] https://localhost:8006/pve-docs/chapter-qm.html#qm_startup_and_shutdown

Thanks, I'll test it out with some delay -- just for sanity sake. But yeah... the VMs are installed, so I can always remove the dependency on the iso.

I tried adding a 15s delay for 1 VM and 30s for another. But they still failed to start up. I'll just remove the iso dependency now which I am sure will work great UNTIL I bungle something up in those VMs and have to get back in using a live disk/usb.

I guess as long as it does start up manually, I should be good in that scenario too.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!