Guest-agent fs-freeze command breaks the system on backup

in my case It also happened to me with cpanel + cloudlinux,

but some cpanel + cloudlinux work and another no, some crash in one day and some fail in random day's, don't care if i'm using pbs, nfs, local disk, crash some internally is the disventage of mantain very old kernel and try to patch

additionally this in some cases i remember that this occurs in machines without cloudlinux, but with centos7 + cpanel, which means that an old kernel was used too, but in newer ubuntu + cpanel for me is working well i don't no if this is failing in centos8 / alma linux based systems

For me fails also with centos/alma 8

For me fails also with centos/alma 8
centos/alma 8 based kernel or centos/alma 8 with cloudlinux kernel?

if are using cloudlinux kernel then is the same in centos 7, centos 8 or centos 1 if this existed
but could point if it really is something from cpanel or cloudlinux

Last edited:
For me this just happened (not for the first time) with a Debian 11 VM. No cpanel. Backup to PBS.

Backing up to a smb/cifs target (OMV) works flawlessly (well, it's a big backup, so I can't tell yet, but at least the VM didn't crash at fsfreeze).

I have been having issues with my PBS lately: timeouts when listing existing backups (the datastore sits on a hdd zpool which, I learned now, is not recommended).

So maybe these two issues are linked. And maybe it is not the fsfreeze command but something that happens (or should happen) directly after that (and that is kept from happening by PBS' timing out)?

Last edited:
happened to me too. VM with PBS, stuck on issuing guest-agent 'fs-freeze' command when backup PBS VM in PBS. fixed when agent disabled.

Guys who experience the issue with fsfreeze locking fs inside guest, do you by any chance have /tmp on loopback interface?
Like:
/dev/loop0 1,2G 2,9M 1,2G 1% /tmp
I vagely remember, that there is an issue for a few years and developers are (still?) doing the blame game.
So all my WHM installs have guest agent disabled.

Last edited:
Hello, I've just found on CentOS that in the file: /etc/sysconfig/qemu-ga

There is a parameter called:

FSFREEZE_HOOK_PATHNAME=/etc/qemu-ga/fsfreeze-hook

Anybody tried to investigate on this?

Last edited:
Hi,
Hello, I've just found on CentOS that in the file: /etc/sysconfig/qemu-ga

There is a parameter called:

FSFREEZE_HOOK_PATHNAME=/etc/qemu-ga/fsfreeze-hook

Anybody tried to investigate on this?
if you make sure the guest agent is invoked with the -F flag, the hook script will be invoked before freeze/after thaw and can be used e.g. to prepare applications for the freeze. You can place custom scripts in fsfreeze-hook.d (don't forget to make them executable) which will be called by the default script.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!