[SOLVED] Grub-install error - unknown filesystem

Vasilij Lebedinskij

Jan 30, 2016
Hello! I've faced strange error while replacing failed disk on old PVE appliance (5.4). After appliying sgdisk -R and sgdisk -G on new disk I've initiated resilver on a new disk and meanwhile I've wanted to install grub on first partition of new hdd. But grub-install failed with error: unknown filesystem. I know it not Proxmox fault but maybe anyone won this battle before and there is some "oneliner" to overcome it?

Let's me assume that this is drive /dev/sda, change it accordingly to match your drive! If the drive has a EF02 partition (according togdisk -l /dev/sda, fdisk calls it a BIOS boot) from sector 34 to 2047, then you don't run grub-install /dev/sda1 to install it to the first partition but instead use grub-install /dev/sda and it will find that partition itself and use it.

Let's me assume that this is drive /dev/sda, change it accordingly to match your drive! If the drive has a EF02 partition (according togdisk -l /dev/sda, fdisk calls it a BIOS boot) from sector 34 to 2047, then you don't run grub-install /dev/sda1 to install it to the first partition but instead use grub-install /dev/sda and it will find that partition itself and use it.
The problem was that resilver process was not over. After it finished grub-install /dev/sdb reported no errors.

Reactions: leesteken

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!