GPU Passtrough + Remote Connection?

DJ_Mic

Mar 17, 2016
Hi,

im new to proxmox and im searching an solution to run a gaming vm and play from everywhere.

Is it possible to play games on a windows vm with an remote tool, just something like RemoteFX or so?
I read something called Spice, it should be compatible with proxmox, is it right?

Depends very much on what kind of games you want to play. Anything latency sensitive or very graphic intense will probably not work very well, especially over remote networks. But yes, Proxmox supports Spice for graphic output, so you can just give it a try ;)

Spice works only well with windows7 and some Linuxdesktop like LXDE, XFCE. And only with these. Windows10 and 8 have poor performance. Windows7 is feeling like an real PC. But 3D gaming does not work, it is not build for that. For virtual workstation it is perfectly.

Well Proxmox-VE is now running Qemu 2.5+ (and Follows the Ubuntu kernel releases?) so if we get kernel 4.4+ soon it will be possible to start playing around with the new 3d features coming to kvm-qemu. My understanding is that it's Linux only at the moment as there are no Windows 3d drivers. Would be nice to use modern GUI like Mint's Cinnamon in a VM.

Hi,
they are new features planned in coming qemu 2.6.

virtio-gpu + spice .
That's will allow to do remote 3d with hardware gpu acceleration.
Really? Is already christmas? :) I'm curious!

KVMGT: a Full GPU Virtualization Solution, this for Linux and on progress. Infos attached.

Attachments

• Qemu-GPU-KVMGT-a.pdf
    893.1 KB · Views: 54
OK. so it adds to what is in 2.5 (adds Spice support etc..) Cool.
roadmap shows 26th of April as potential release date so it should make in into Proxmox-VE around the same time as the 4.4 kernel?
Something to look forward too.. :D
Wow, this sounds really nice!!!

Note that this require special virtio-gpu driver, only available on linux currently
I know, but this sounds nice, because Desktop like Unity or Plasma5 and other, they only work with 3D Acceleration. And with the current spice it is not really useable, only for testing.

Seems to be good now, qemu is now on 2.6.0 version on promox.
Is there any specific settings to put in place in the VM conf in order to have the 3d with hardware gpu acceleration ?

I think a few of the parts are still missing (i.e. virglrenderer, Mesa driver?). I couldn't get it to work, although that was just after qemu 2.6 went into the test repo and i see there are other updates since.

Last edited:
On a related note, if you're using GPU/PCIE passthrough, you can use Steam in-home Streaming to stream games/desktop to a client. There's a few others as well like Nvidia Gamestream (Shield or Moonlight clients) or Splashtop.

If you use Nvidia Gamestream + Moonlight, it has an Android client as well so you can play on a phone/tablet.

Reactions: fireon

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!