matthewpipes

Oct 20, 2021
I've got a proxmox 7.4-3 server running an i7-5820K on a ASRock x99 Taichi, with a Gigabyte GT 710. The GPU works fine (I can use it to edit BIOS settings when I boot) . I've followed the steps mentioned in both this reddit post and this one. I end up getting error 43 and no display sent out the card. What am I missing?

1682608039145.png

1682608057419.png
1682608078220.png

1682608082647.png

1682608089944.png

1682608098720.png

Attachments

• 1682608073361.png
    1682608073361.png
    31 KB · Views: 9
Not sure what you're referring about for boot gpu workaround, but I modified
Code:
/etc/defautl/grub
and put
Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet intel_iommu=on initcall_blacklist=sysfb_init"
but no success with this

Not sure what you're referring about for boot gpu workaround, but I modified
Code:
/etc/defautl/grub
and put
Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet intel_iommu=on initcall_blacklist=sysfb_init"
but no success with this
Just to double check: what is the output of cat /proc/cmdline? Maybe your NVidia GPU needs additional work-arounds, like a ROM-file (which might need to be patched). I don't have experience with that, maybe someone else on this forum knows. Or maybe you can find a post of someone who got a GT710 working.
You could try booting the same VM with a recent Ubuntu Live installer ISO (without installing it) to check if passthrough is working with Linux (output on physical display connected to the GPU) instead of Windows, which could narrow it down to a Windows driver issue with passthrough.

I did previously try with a couple different roms I found online. This, this and this. I've spent a considerable amount of time tshooting this but haven't tried ubuntu. I'll give that a shot shortly

Code:
root@pve:~# cat /proc/cmdline
BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-5.15.104-1-pve root=/dev/mapper/pve-root ro quiet intel_iommu=on initcall_blacklist=sysfb_init

I don't have experience with that, maybe someone else on this forum knows. Or maybe you can find a post of someone who got a GT710 working.
My GT710 works perfectly without anything special. I just followed the PCI passthrough article. But I don't boot with it (system uses the onboard GPU of the BMC) and the GT710 is only used for passthrough.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!