GPU Passthrough Error 43

Edian

Apr 15, 2023
Hello,

I followed and completed these 2 guides:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6jQx4AJlFw&list=FL7m-_NKIsb9zs48ZNduuMUQ&index=2&t=1115s (went with w10 instead, few issues I ended up googling for answers so my end configs aren't exactly the same but I will post whatever info requested)
https://www.reddit.com/r/homelab/comments/b5xpua/the_ultimate_beginners_guide_to_gpu_passthrough/

My W10 VM detects the gpu but spitting out error 43. GTX 760.

Not sure what info to include, if any kind soul minds helping, I appreciate it and will post any requested info. Very new to linux and VM hosting, learning as I go. Just installed Proxmox a couple days ago so am on the newest version (I believe).

Thanks

Last edited:
What GPU? This matters a lot. Here is my general advice for AMD Radeon:
Some AMD GPUs requires vendor-reset and activation of it. Here is an old guide. You can easily test passthrough by booting a recent Ubuntu Live installer ISO (without installing it).
Passthrough of the boot GPU requires this work-around or with an AMD GPU (and vendor-reset) you can also install the latest optional kernel but make sure amdgpu is loaded for the VGA function of the GPU (so don't blacklist it or early bind it to vfio-pci, which is needed when using older kernels).
The AMD Windows Graphics drivers work better with Machine version 6.2 (machine: pc-q35-6.2) on Windows (10).

What GPU? This matters a lot. Here is my general advice for AMD Radeon:
Some AMD GPUs requires vendor-reset and activation of it. Here is an old guide. You can easily test passthrough by booting a recent Ubuntu Live installer ISO (without installing it).
Passthrough of the boot GPU requires this work-around or with an AMD GPU (and vendor-reset) you can also install the latest optional kernel but make sure amdgpu is loaded for the VGA function of the GPU (so don't blacklist it or early bind it to vfio-pci, which is needed when using older kernels).
The AMD Windows Graphics drivers work better with Machine version 6.2 (machine: pc-q35-6.2) on Windows (10).
GTX 760 - initcall_blacklist=sysfb_init is already in there. The VM itself has the gpu detected in device manager, just that pesky error 43 now...

If I'm not mistaken here, error 43 shows up if it needs the vBIOS for that GPU and it doesn't have it, or it's incorrect.
In my case, it's an iGPU and I was getting the same problem quite a while ago after trying to dump the vBIOS with some Linux script (or C code I had to compile and run - can't quite remember). Luckly I found a vBIOS dump from someone else on these forums that actually worked, and error 43 went away in my case.
Again, in my case it's an AMD iGPU, so IDK if this applies to you too, but might be worth investigating. For dedicated GPUS you can actually find vBIOS dumps all over the place, quite easily.

If I'm not mistaken here, error 43 shows up if it needs the vBIOS for that GPU and it doesn't have it, or it's incorrect.
In my case, it's an iGPU and I was getting the same problem quite a while ago after trying to dump the vBIOS with some Linux script (or C code I had to compile and run - can't quite remember). Luckly I found a vBIOS dump from someone else on these forums that actually worked, and error 43 went away in my case.
Again, in my case it's an AMD iGPU, so IDK if this applies to you too, but might be worth investigating. For dedicated GPUS you can actually find vBIOS dumps all over the place, quite easily.
To be honest, I had forgotten about this thread lol. been dead for quite awhile. I ended up switching to a 1070 and switched to ubuntu 20.04 lts for the VM. Plex trans-coding works amazingly. Not sure why I originally went with a w10 vm /shrug. Issue is resolved, not sure how to mark the thread as so, however.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!