GPU Pass-through to Win-VM - Driver not loading

privatevintage

Sep 29, 2024
Austria
Dear Community,
I recently purchased a server to run some basic things in my home network. One thing on my bucket list was moving Plex Media Server from the NAS to a VM with more power.
I installed ProxMox VE 8.2.2, running on ZFS RAID1 1TB NVMe SSDs.
Hardware: AMD X570, Ryzen AM4 5950x, 64GB of ECC DDR4 and an Intel Arc A380 GPU for hardware acceleration.
So far so good, I found a bunch of tutorials and did a lot of researching over the last 48 hours, but I can't get the GPU to work properly.
VM is a Windows Server 2022. After following the steps in the tutorial(s), the GPU does show up correctly in the VM, however:

It does NOT show up in Task Manager, no matter what.
If I turn on IOMMU: AMD (Intel) inside the VM, the boot hangs
if I enable the "PCI Express" flag, I get an "Error 43" and the GPU shows up with yellow exclamation mark in device manager

I have IOMMU turned on in the bios of the host machine
I have blacklisted Intel GPU drivers in ProxMox so the host doesn't interfere with the driver
I have tested 6 different Intel GPU drivers, all ending in identical results

I found this to be the "most helpful" post so far (within the 48 hours)
https://www.reddit.com/r/Proxmox/comments/1cvucc1/passthrough_intel_arc_gpu_to_windows_vm/
But even with "Primary GPU" ticked and a monitor directly connected to the GPU, there is no image. So clearly the driver is not loading at all.

Since I am stuck, I was hoping to get more "professional" help here, compared to asking some people on my discord, who barely used proxmox as little as I have.
Thank you kindly. Any input is appreciated.

regarding the picture: I've tried with "Display: none", but it makes no difference. Tried just about any combination of flags inside the settings.
My only other idea for now, would be to throw a different GPU in and see if Nvidia drivers work better. What makes this frustrating is, that apparently at least 3 other people who have posted online, managed to make it work with hardware basically identical to mine.

If you could point me in the right direction on how to get the passthrough working properly, I would be very grateful.

Attachments

• Bild_2024-09-29_005702451.png
    Bild_2024-09-29_005702451.png
    25 KB · Views: 5
  • Bild_2024-09-29_010440099.png
    Bild_2024-09-29_010440099.png
    15.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Bild_2024-09-29_010502718.png
    Bild_2024-09-29_010502718.png
    31.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Bild_2024-09-29_010530878.png
    Bild_2024-09-29_010530878.png
    105.7 KB · Views: 5
  • grub-passthrough.PNG
    grub-passthrough.PNG
    6.4 KB · Views: 2
  • vfio.PNG
    vfio.PNG
    7.6 KB · Views: 2
  • config-check.PNG
    config-check.PNG
    11.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
This is what we did:
1. In your KVM config, make sure Display is set to "Default", afterwards you can't connect the VM through proxmox console so you have to setup remote desktop first on the VM.
2. On the passed through device, select the root device (0000:XX:XX) not the sub device (0000:XX:XX.X) which you seem to already did, make sure "Primary GPU" and "PCI-Express" is checked (tick "Advanced" in the PCI device config window to see PCI-Express option)
3. Shutdown the Vm completely and restart.
I passthrough an Nvidia Quadro with just the UI config and did not touch other settings in grub or vfio, but not sure about Arc.

Last edited:
This is what we did:
1. In your KVM config, make sure Display is set to "Default", afterwards you can't connect the VM through proxmox console so you have to setup remote desktop first on the VM.
2. On the passed through device, select the root device (0000:XX:XX) not the sub device (0000:XX:XX.X) which you seem to already did, make sure "Primary GPU" and "PCI-Express" is checked (tick "Advanced" in the PCI device config window to see PCI-Express option)
3. Shutdown the Vm completely and restart.
I passthrough an Nvidia Quadro with just the UI config and did not touch other settings in grub or vfio, but not sure about Arc.
Thank you very much for the reply. In that case, Arc appears to work somewhat differently. I tried with just about every display setting. My remaining problem is that the driver won't load correctly, so I assume there is something between Proxmox and the Windows-VM that is blocking communication.
Opening the Intel Arc Control Center immediately gets me "Intel Control Center API was not initialized correctly, which leads to limited functionality. Please make sure to install the newest drivers and reboot the system. If that doesn't help, completely reinstall the driver and Control Center."
which I did. I tried 6 different versions of Arc drivers. The installation always completes without issue, but it seems, it can't access the hardware regardless.

Attachments

• Bild_2024-10-10_102243311.png
    Bild_2024-10-10_102243311.png
    97.9 KB · Views: 2

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!