[SOLVED] GPU Pass through stopped after update

ZooKeeper

Aug 5, 2020
So, I had working windows 11 GPU passthrough without issue since I installed. I updated to latest version of proxmox a month ago and restarted my host. I checked all settings which I had before and it is still there. I used reddit ultimate guide for that. Here is link for it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/homelab/comments/b5xpua/the_ultimate_beginners_guide_to_gpu_passthrough/

If I remove GPU passthrough and set display to default, it boots and works fine. As soon as I pass through GPU, it stopped working. I reinstalled windows 11 and same issue. It works fine till, I do GPU passthtough.

I get stuck on this screens when I pass through and goes to windows repaid mode:

proxmox passthrough.PNG

Warning on top, I see same warning when I don't pass through and it still boots.

I tried turning off secure boot and not having any luck (someone recommended on other forum). Need to know if someone has a clue and I am not finding any good info on it.

Appreciate your time. Thanks.

initrd=\EFI\proxmox\5.15.85-1-pve\initrd.img-5.15.85-1-pve root=ZFS=rpool/ROOT/pve-1 boot=zfs intel_iommu=on rootdelay=10

I already tried other thing:

Here is what's in grub:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet intel_iommu=on initcall_blacklist=sysfb_init"
That does not match the output of cat /proc/cmdline. Probably, your Proxmox does not use GRUB. Please see the manual on checking the bootloader and where to add kernel parameters for the work-around.

That does not match the output of cat /proc/cmdline. Probably, your Proxmox does not use GRUB. Please see the manual on checking the bootloader and where to add kernel parameters for the work-around.
Here is screenshot:

cmdline.PNG

Here is what bootlooder output:

2.PNG

As per reading and it seems like it is systemd.boot. Any suggestion what to do?

As per reading and it seems like it is systemd.boot. Any suggestion what to do?
A little further in the manual, it explains how to edit the kernel parameters for systemd-boot:
The kernel commandline needs to be placed as one line in /etc/kernel/cmdline. To apply your changes, run proxmox-boot-tool refresh, which sets it as the option line for all config files in loader/entries/proxmox-*.conf.
EDIT: I assume you did that some time before to add intel_iommu=on rootdelay=10. Make sure it is all on one single line.

Reactions: ZooKeeper
A little further in the manual, it explains how to edit the kernel parameters for systemd-boot:

EDIT: I assume you did that some time before to add intel_iommu=on rootdelay=10. Make sure it is all on one single line.
I tried what is recommended. I am getting same issue. I don't find this files though: loader/entries/proxmox-*.conf.

I have no experience with WIndows 11 or kernel 5.15.102-1 (as I found the new optional kernel much nicer for AMD GPU passthrough). Are there any errors in the journalctl when starting/running the VM?
I solved issue. It will be stupid but I will still point out: I had extra space between "intel_iommu=on" and "initcall_", if you can see in image I posted earlier. i noticed when I was asking question to other user who had same issue. I can't believe I missed that.

Reactions: leesteken
I solved issue. It will be stupid but I will still point out: I had extra space between "intel_iommu=on" and "initcall_", if you can see in image I posted earlier. i noticed when I was asking question to other user who had same issue. I can't believe I missed that.
I would not expect that to be an issue... but glad to know you got it working.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!