GPU Native Output Passthrough Problems! (Linux Guest)

owen0926

Jan 28, 2023
Hello, over the past week or two I've been trying to get GPU passthrough (EVGA 8400GS 01G-P3-1303-KR) working into a Linux guest (Linux Mint) and have only been partially successful. The goal is to just use this basic GPU as a native display output to my monitor over VGA however I can't seem to get it to work. I don't believe I've ever gotten the passthrough to work correctly as the VM would often freeze on Mint login before X launches using the nouveau driver or patched Nvidia driver. Any help would be appreciate and I can complete any suggested troubleshooting. Again the goal is to be able to use the VGA/HDMI out on the card to connect to a display in order to use it.

I have a rom file I pulled from a live boot on Mint using real hardware that I tried to test with without success. I also have tried disabling and enabling unsafe interrupt remapping (my board does support the remaps but tried it anyway with no success)

Below I have attached screenshots for all current settings and the 2 VMs I've been testing with BIOS/UEFI both Mint however I have tried different distributions which unsurprisingly has no change.

VM settings tried on both:

Primary GPU: on/off
Rom file from dump: used/unused
scsihw: single/PCI
Display: None, VGA (std), Spice

Attachments

• GPU_PassThrough_(7).png
    GPU_PassThrough_(7).png
    24.4 KB · Views: 7
  • GPU_Passthrough_ (6).png
    GPU_Passthrough_ (6).png
    27.8 KB · Views: 7
  • GPU_Passthrough_ (5).png
    GPU_Passthrough_ (5).png
    44.9 KB · Views: 6
  • GPU_Passthrough_ (4).png
    GPU_Passthrough_ (4).png
    10.3 KB · Views: 5
  • GPU_Passthrough_ (3).png
    GPU_Passthrough_ (3).png
    4.8 KB · Views: 2
  • GPU_Passthrough_ (2).png
    GPU_Passthrough_ (2).png
    49.2 KB · Views: 2
  • GPU_Passthrough_ (1).png
    GPU_Passthrough_ (1).png
    4.7 KB · Views: 5
Important note as long as I could login to the VM the guest GPU would show, just not display video out with any of the combined settings noted.

Please be aware that nofb nomodeset textonly video=vesafb:off video=efifb:off don't really do anything anymore. If you are doing passthrough of the GPU that is used during boot of the Proxmox host, you need this work-around. You probably have that BAR cannot reserve error in your system logs. Check with cat /proc/cmdline which kernel parameters are in effect.

After trying your suggestion and changing my /etc/default/grub and updating the config via 'update-grub' it seems the VM is booting a little more reliable however still no native display out with and without display set to none/vga(std) and with and without using my rom file.

cmdline:
BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-5.15.74-1-pve root=/dev/mapper/pve-root ro intel_iommu=on iommu=pt pcie_acs_override=downstream,multifunction initcall_blacklist=sysfb_init

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-14 095506.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-14 095506.png
    7.6 KB · Views: 7

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!