Gotify notifications - LXC instead of Docker?

Kingneutron

Feb 21, 2024
github.com
I saw a video explaining how to enable PMVE Gotify notifications, but it involved setting up a VM with Docker.
Don't want all that overhead and complexity.

Anyone have plans to deploy Gotify in a PM LXC container directly? Could this be a supported template / turnkey for PMVE?

TIA

Nah, I don't want Docker involved at all. Would like to see if Gotify can just run directly in an LXC
Of course, Gotify is super straight-forward to set up - it's just a single, statically linked binary. Create a container, download the Gotify binary, maybe create a systemd unit file for it and you should be good to go.

Reactions: Maximiliano
Ok I got gotify running in an LXC container and works as expected, but every time the container reboots or gets shutdown it loses all the Gotify web settings. Any advice??

Update: I turned "protection" on in the container settings and it seems to have solved the "losing its mind" issue

Hope to do a release after lunch, I have to re-zip and re-upload everything now

Update: I turned "protection" on in the container settings and it seems to have solved the "losing its mind" issue

Hope to do a release after lunch, I have to re-zip and re-upload everything now

The "Protection" setting only prevents you from accidentally deleting the container -- this does not have any influence inside the container whatsoever :)

I'm very comfortable with Debian / Devuan (and compressed disk space is cheap), but feel free to rev and release your own - I provided scripts on how I packaged mine :)

/ my minimalist streak only goes so far these days; It works, Ship it ;-)

You are a godsend, @Kingneutron! I'm giving that a shot now, and looking forward to seeing it as part of the TKL release. :)

EDIT: Unfortunately, I'm far too much a newb to work with this. I successfully completed having it install to the LXC 99998, it runs, but I had to reconfigure the external for DHCP to be on my network, and it looks like the internal IP is set. As it wasn't Debian as I'm used to I wasn't sure where to look.

At this point, installing it into a Docker container on an LXC host is starting to look "nice." I'm going to shelve Gotify until I have more progress on the rest of the LAN setup and sort out a better approach to this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kingneutron
Alpine is literally unbeatable. I have an Alpine LXC running Tailscale @ 30mb. I have another Alpine LXC with a full Xfce desktop OS @ 900mb!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!