[SOLVED] Google Coral USB Initialisation

MasonRT

Jul 29, 2024
When following the Coral USB set up guide (https://coral.ai/docs/accelerator/get-started/#1-install-the-edge-tpu-runtime) I am able to get through adding the Debian package repository to my system but when I come to install I get the following error, would be grateful for some guidance on how to rectify.

Code:
root@proxmox1:~# apt-get install libedgetpu1-std
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
libedgetpu1-std is already the newest version (16.0).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
Setting up gasket-dkms (1.0-18) ...
Removing old gasket-1.0 DKMS files...
Deleting module gasket-1.0 completely from the DKMS tree.
Loading new gasket-1.0 DKMS files...
Deprecated feature: REMAKE_INITRD (/usr/src/gasket-1.0/dkms.conf)
Building for 6.8.8-4-pve
Building initial module for 6.8.8-4-pve
Deprecated feature: REMAKE_INITRD (/var/lib/dkms/gasket/1.0/source/dkms.conf)
Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 6.8.8-4-pve (x86_64)
Consult /var/lib/dkms/gasket/1.0/build/make.log for more information.
dpkg: error processing package gasket-dkms (--configure):
 installed gasket-dkms package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 10
Errors were encountered while processing:
 gasket-dkms
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Hi,
there are multiple reasons why a dkms build can fail, check if you have the headers package installed, with your current kernel that would be proxmox-headers-6.8. If that is already the case, there might be an incompatibility with our version of the kernel. While Proxmox VE is based on Debian, the kernel is taken from the current version of Ubuntu plus some of our own patches.

Why do you want to install that on the host system, though? If you want to run your application in a VM, that's also where the drivers are needed, not on the hypervisor. In your case, you would just pass through the USB connection to the VM and do everything else inside there.

I was following the guide and assumed that I needed it to initialise and show as 18d1:9302 Google Inc. rather than 1a6e:089a Global Unichip Corp before being able to pass through as Frigate wasn’t recognising it.

I have now instead passed through the usb port instead of the device ID and this has allowed Frigate to recognise and initiate.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!